Thread poster: A_Fangrath

A_Fangrath  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
English to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

How do I actually save a translation?
the original is a srt. file
the translation needs to be a .srt file?

thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on the client Feb 9, 2009

That depends on the file format the client wants you to send. You can save the translation in any of the formats available, normally it is usually saved on .srt format. But again, you should ask the client

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
He needs a srf. file Feb 9, 2009

how do I do that?

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Save as... Feb 9, 2009

Instead of just saving, you may "Save Original/Translation as". This will allow you to select the file format.

You may save a subs file in any format you want, however certain formats have less information than others. AFAIK the most "complete" one is SSA. If you open a SSA file and save it as a TXT, this will discard a lot of information on font, size, etc.

The key is that the more complex the software that will use the subs file, the less information the subs file will contain. For instance, VirtualDub is very simple, so it uses SSA. All the subs info will be stored in a SSA file.

On the other extreme, Adobe Encore, Ulead DVD Workshop are complex, feature-loaded programs. So all they use from the subs file (TXT format) is the text and in/out times. Everything else will be handled by them, and not by Subtitle Workshop.

You may use Subtitle Workshop to convert one subs file type to another, but any extra (i.e. other than sub text and timecodes) info will either be lost (e.g. SSA to TXT) or missing (e.g. TXT to SSA).

As a matter of fact, I translate for subs using the Windows Notepad, that generates a TXT file. To convert that plain text TXT file to a TXT subs file, I open it with Media Subtitler, and then save it as SSA. This latter file will be a SSA subs file with all timecodes populated with zero. Then I'll open it with Subtitle Workshop for spotting. (I don't like to use Media Subtitler for spotting.)

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To keep time in/time out Feb 9, 2009

Thank you for your comprehensive information, Jose
Ok,
I will be able to save original/translation as ssa file
but I want to make sure, I keep the time in/time out
I actually want to make sure I don't change the document at all (and would like to deliver the translation in srt as recieved from the client. (I just don't find the option where i can do that)
I forgot to mention, the film already has English subtitles.
I have to translate them to German.

ps do you have an idea what SYNC PLOP might be?

[Edited at 2009-02-09 11:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-09 11:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-09 13:01 GMT]

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Feb 9, 2009

Thank you again for giving me an idea,
ssa is the only format I should use,
but I have to use save as project to keep the english original lines and the translation,
just worked out myself
See Jose, I'm a pretty good autodidact myself:)

[Edited at 2009-02-09 14:24 GMT]

cm1454
Argentina
Local time: 07:57
English to Spanish
Saving as .srt Feb 11, 2009

I don't know what you did, but congratulations anyway!

What I did was to make a copy of the original file (I always do, just in case) and then copy and paste the whole translated text, deleting the original.

It is not probably the best way but it did solve the problem!

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a way Feb 14, 2009

thanks for this suggestion,
that is a way too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who is working with Subtitler Workshop? need your help

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs