[Subtitling Rates] Some questions about subtitling rates
Thread poster: Marie Gouy

Marie Gouy
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:07
English to French
Mar 16, 2009

Hello,

As part of a university management project, I need to create a quote based on a realistic market price for a service that includes translating + spotting + proofreading.

Therefore I would like to get information from freelance subtitlers about their rates.

- Do you tend to charge per programme minute or per caption?
- How much do you charge per program minute?
- And finally, when do you apply discounts and mimimum charges?

It would really help if you took 5 minutes to answer! Thanks!

[Modifié le 2009-03-16 14:11 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-16 14:47 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:07
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some info Mar 16, 2009

[quote]Marie Gouy wrote:

- Do you tend to charge per programme minute or per caption?

Always per minute of total playing time. If they say, e.g. it has only 4 of the total 15 minutes where subtitling (or anything else) is required, I ask them to crop these 4 minutes and send me nothing else. Otherwise I'll have to check every single second to see whether there is anything that requires my work.

- How much do you charge per program minute?

Currency here is Brazilian Reais. Use http://www.x-rates.com/d/BRL/table.html to convert into anything more convenient.

Translation (or transcription for CC) = BRL 15/minute (each - xlate or xscribe)
Spotting = BRL 5/minute
Burning = BRL 5/minute

This includes, if necessary, downloading and file conversion, even if it's on analog VHS tape (as long as it's NTSC). The minimum (below) covers these at no extra charge.

- And finally, when do you apply discounts and mimimum charges?

My discounts work like some airlines' mileage programs. Frequent flyers get a freebie now and then. I usually offer simple DVD authoring/burning at no extra charge to anyone.

Minimum playing time is 15 minutes. If it's less, it will be 15 minutes.

Final note: I work mostly (if not wholly) for the corporate video industry, not TV/movies.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Subtitling Rates] Some questions about subtitling rates

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs