Mobile menu

[Subtitling Rates] How much should I charge for technical / financial transaltion of subs?
Thread poster: fionainrome
Local time: 13:50
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 9, 2009

I have been contacted by a company in the UK, they asked about my rates and then sent me a test to do (short , but not that short, it consists of four parts).
I gave them my rates (4 euro per min) before I was sent the test.
When I read it I realised it's mostly really complicated tachnical and financial language, should I raise my fee? How much would you usually charge to translate that kind of text?

Many thanks.

[თემის სათაური შეასწორა საიტის ადმინისტრაციამ ან მოდერატორმა. 2009-04-09 17:37 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-09 17:38 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

English to Russian
+ ...
same here Apr 23, 2009

Ciao Fiona.
Probably you have already answered your question yourself, but - one should be flexible and establish the negotiating range. Let's say, the initial price is $4 and you're willing to get ~$8. Very often you both end up at ~$6. In our culture, splitting the difference seems fair.
Anyway, I have two rates - 'standard' and 'job'. The Former is an initial price and the latter is a bit higher after seeing the job. But don't be shy - ask for more and stay sensible.

You *might* just get it

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Subtitling Rates] How much should I charge for technical / financial transaltion of subs?

Advanced search

Translation news

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs