https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/132404-%5Bsubtitling_rates%5D_how_much_should_i_charge_for_technical_financial_transaltion_of_subs.html

[Subtitling Rates] How much should I charge for technical / financial transaltion of subs?
Thread poster: fionainrome
fionainrome
fionainrome
Italy
Local time: 13:30
Italian to English
Apr 9, 2009

I have been contacted by a company in the UK, they asked about my rates and then sent me a test to do (short , but not that short, it consists of four parts).
I gave them my rates (4 euro per min) before I was sent the test.
When I read it I realised it's mostly really complicated tachnical and financial language, should I raise my fee? How much would you usually charge to translate that kind of text?

Many thanks.

[თემის სათაური შეა�
... See more
I have been contacted by a company in the UK, they asked about my rates and then sent me a test to do (short , but not that short, it consists of four parts).
I gave them my rates (4 euro per min) before I was sent the test.
When I read it I realised it's mostly really complicated tachnical and financial language, should I raise my fee? How much would you usually charge to translate that kind of text?

Many thanks.

[თემის სათაური შეასწორა საიტის ადმინისტრაციამ ან მოდერატორმა. 2009-04-09 17:37 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-09 17:38 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
same here Apr 23, 2009

Ciao Fiona.
Probably you have already answered your question yourself, but - one should be flexible and establish the negotiating range. Let's say, the initial price is $4 and you're willing to get ~$8. Very often you both end up at ~$6. In our culture, splitting the difference seems fair.
Anyway, I have two rates - 'standard' and 'job'. The Former is an initial price and the latter is a bit higher after seeing the job. But don't be shy - ask for more and stay sensible.

... See more
Ciao Fiona.
Probably you have already answered your question yourself, but - one should be flexible and establish the negotiating range. Let's say, the initial price is $4 and you're willing to get ~$8. Very often you both end up at ~$6. In our culture, splitting the difference seems fair.
Anyway, I have two rates - 'standard' and 'job'. The Former is an initial price and the latter is a bit higher after seeing the job. But don't be shy - ask for more and stay sensible.

You *might* just get it
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Subtitling Rates] How much should I charge for technical / financial transaltion of subs?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »