Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:08
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Mar 25, 2015

Ana Guimaraes wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about subtitling rates in the USA. Does anyone know how much translators get paid in US dollars? I mean, a junior translator rate to a senior one.
Thanks
Ana Carla


Dear Ana,

I apologize for the long delay.

From the information I've gathered, rates in the USA go from $5.00 per minute for junior work, from $10.00 per minute for senior work and up to $4.00 per subtitle for professional work (=feature movies and shows).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ana Carla Guimarães  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:08
English to Portuguese
Don´t apologize... Mar 25, 2015

Max,
Please, don´t apologize for the delay. I am sure we all appreciate the fact you took the time to answer these questions for us. Apparently, these numbers are still the same since 2013.
Thank you so much for confirming with your colleagues!
Ana


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andriy Bublikov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:08
Member (2009)
French to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Here are same links about subtitling rates Mar 25, 2015

Ana Guimarães wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about subtitling rates in the USA. Does anyone know how much translators get paid in US dollars? I mean, a junior translator rate to a senior one.
Thanks
Ana Carla


http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/52756-[subtitling_rates]_per_minute_rates.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/271439-subtitling_rates.html

http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/MegaBBS/forumthread381.htm?start=1

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/227905-what_is_a_reasonable_rate_for_translating_subtitles.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/255043-advice_on_subtitling_rates.html

https://www.google.ru/search?q=subtitling%20rates%20per%20minute%20site:www.proz.com&newwindow=1&biw=1464&bih=899&sa=X&ei=lh0TVbyjLYTOygOHxoGQAg&ved=0CCoQrQIoBDAA


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ivona
United States
Local time: 09:08
English to Polish
+ ...
Mac and PC based dongle Apr 10, 2015

Hi Max,

I wrote to you privately, but also posting here - maybe someone else has similar issue.

I am switching from PC to a Mac. The company I am working with will send me a dongle, but it is PC based... So my question is - should I just get MS Office for Mac and this will do it, or would I need to get a virtual Windows environment?

I am new to this (Mac) so not sure what this all means, but heard about Parallels, or simply installing Windows on a partition of a Mac disc. Which option would be better so I don't have any issues? Is one better than the other (Parallels vs. installing windows on a disc) - Also heard I may have to reboot the computer every time I need to switch between systems. Is this true?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:08
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Apr 10, 2015

Ivona wrote:

Hi Max,

I wrote to you privately, but also posting here - maybe someone else has similar issue.

I am switching from PC to a Mac. The company I am working with will send me a dongle, but it is PC based... So my question is - should I just get MS Office for Mac and this will do it, or would I need to get a virtual Windows environment?

I am new to this (Mac) so not sure what this all means, but heard about Parallels, or simply installing Windows on a partition of a Mac disc. Which option would be better so I don't have any issues? Is one better than the other (Parallels vs. installing windows on a disc) - Also heard I may have to reboot the computer every time I need to switch between systems. Is this true?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.



Hi Ivona,

I have no experience working on Mac, so I suggest you contact the software's development team and ask them this same question.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ivona
United States
Local time: 09:08
English to Polish
+ ...
using parallels for subtitling Apr 16, 2015

so I got my macbook pro! love it so far... but have a question about parallels. I will need to work in virtual pc for one of the companies as their GTS is PC specific.

I bought the ms office for mac so have word, but when i go to virtual PC I don't have word there... do I need additional word for virtual PC? if not, how do I use mac word in the virtual PC part of the computer? or how do I save it to virtual pc?

i am so new to this, so i apologize if these questions don't make sense or are too trivial.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:08
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Apr 17, 2015

Ivona wrote:

so I got my macbook pro! love it so far... but have a question about parallels. I will need to work in virtual pc for one of the companies as their GTS is PC specific.

I bought the ms office for mac so have word, but when i go to virtual PC I don't have word there... do I need additional word for virtual PC? if not, how do I use mac word in the virtual PC part of the computer? or how do I save it to virtual pc?

i am so new to this, so i apologize if these questions don't make sense or are too trivial.


Hi Ivona,

Unfortunately, I don't have experience using the virtual PC, so I can't answer this. Additionally, your question seems to be not related to subtitling, so I recommend that you post it in a dedicated subforum.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ivona
United States
Local time: 09:08
English to Polish
+ ...
Thanks Max Apr 18, 2015

I will actually be using parallels for one of the clients I translate subtitles for. Their software GTS is PC based, so I need to work in parallels. I posted here in hopes someone who works with the same software sees it and can help.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Akhila Phadnis
India
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
ASCII coding? May 3, 2015

Max, first of all bolshoi spacibo for starting this off!

I've been looking for subtitling help for a bit and this thread is fantastic!

I know this might be a really basic question, but I wanted to ask why clients want subtitles ASCII coded? What does this entail?

Thanks again!

Akhila


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Akhila Phadnis
India
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
Ivona -parallels May 3, 2015

Hey Ivona,

I use a MacBook pro and for a while I was using Parallels to be able to use Trados and MemoQ. This was for a few months between 2013 and 14 and what I found was that Parallels essentially partitions your computer off into TWO computers. So when you install Windows (any version) on the Parallel partition you need to download the Windows Office Suite onto it afresh. You can drag and drop SOME files from the Mac partition to the Windows, but not, I think applications.

I hope someone with more recent experience of this can help you, but for the time being I would say yes, you need to download a separate version of Word - your Mac programs are essentially inaccesible from virtual PC.

Hope this helps!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:08
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 3, 2015

Aphadnis wrote:

Max, first of all bolshoi spacibo for starting this off!

I've been looking for subtitling help for a bit and this thread is fantastic!

I know this might be a really basic question, but I wanted to ask why clients want subtitles ASCII coded? What does this entail?

Thanks again!

Akhila


Hi Akhila,

Thank you for the kind words.

In my experience, not many clients require the ASCII encoding. I think it is fair to say that Unicode UTF-8 is the most used format, as it correctly encodes characters and symbols of nearly every single existing language.

Chances are, some of your clients require ASCII because the software they use does not support Unicode.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andriy Bublikov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:08
Member (2009)
French to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
ASCII coding May 4, 2015

Aphadnis wrote:

I know this might be a really basic question, but I wanted to ask why clients want subtitles ASCII coded? What does this entail?

Thanks again!

Akhila


ASCII coding
Have you tried aegisub?
No problems with aegisub ASCII coding using aegisub.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Letizia S.
Italy
Local time: 16:08
French to Italian
+ ...
italian symbols and characters May 5, 2015

Hi,
I like this topic!
I am italian and I am not a subtitler, I did it one time from french to italian because my boyfiriend wanted to watch an episode of a new american series (already translated in french), and considering that I was a student with a lot of free time and my french is better than my poor english, I tried! I found it very long, like frustrating, because even if my mind immediatly find the translation, it needs time to write it down... But I really loved subtitling
However...
My question is: I read somewhere in italian subtitlers'sites that it is better to avoid symbols like "è", the italian thirt person of to be, and to replace it with e' (e+apostrophe), and the same can be said for other characters with accent marks: à, ò, ù, ì become a', o', u', i': WHY? It seems a scaring mistake

Thanks

Letizia

PS: please feel free to correct my mistakes


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:08
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 5, 2015

Letizia S. wrote:

Hi,
I like this topic!
I am italian and I am not a subtitler, I did it one time from french to italian because my boyfiriend wanted to watch an episode of a new american series (already translated in french), and considering that I was a student with a lot of free time and my french is better than my poor english, I tried! I found it very long, like frustrating, because even if my mind immediatly find the translation, it needs time to write it down... But I really loved subtitling
However...
My question is: I read somewhere in italian subtitlers'sites that it is better to avoid symbols like "è", the italian thirt person of to be, and to replace it with e' (e+apostrophe), and the same can be said for other characters with accent marks: à, ò, ù, ì become a', o', u', i': WHY? It seems a scaring mistake

Thanks

Letizia

PS: please feel free to correct my mistakes


Hi Letizia,

Some encodings don't support diacritics, so substituting the grave accent for the apostrophe is an easy way to ensure your translations won't turn into gibberish on the viewer's screen. It works well for amateurs — if you don't know how to encode your subs in a proper manner, so that the target audience can read them without a hitch, you can go with this approach.

In professional subtitling, however, this practice is considered unacceptable.

Quick tip: UTF-8 is usually your best bet when it comes to encodings.

[Edited at 2015-05-05 11:49 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

IT Pros Subs
Italy
Local time: 16:08
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
That's not true May 5, 2015

Hi Letizia,

it's absolutely not true that in Italian professional subtitling you need to replace accents with apostrophes. Maybe your source is one of those fansubbing sites. Professional subtitling is something different and grammar mistakes are not allowed.

Hope that helps.




Letizia S. wrote:

Hi,
I like this topic!
I am italian and I am not a subtitler, I did it one time from french to italian because my boyfiriend wanted to watch an episode of a new american series (already translated in french), and considering that I was a student with a lot of free time and my french is better than my poor english, I tried! I found it very long, like frustrating, because even if my mind immediatly find the translation, it needs time to write it down... But I really loved subtitling
However...
My question is: I read somewhere in italian subtitlers'sites that it is better to avoid symbols like "è", the italian thirt person of to be, and to replace it with e' (e+apostrophe), and the same can be said for other characters with accent marks: à, ò, ù, ì become a', o', u', i': WHY? It seems a scaring mistake

Thanks

Letizia

PS: please feel free to correct my mistakes


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search