Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Bardalinska
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
. Apr 10

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Andrejs Gorbunovs wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

Is that right? I'm curious how you translated first down and fullback into Latvian.



Well, I guess if the Latvian language has Wikipedia page with extensive description of player positions in American football (https://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerikāņu_futbols#Sp.C4.93l.C4.93t.C4.81ju_poz.C4.ABcijas) (see paragraph 2: Spēlētāju pozīcijas)), the search and term creation took me around 30 seconds.

So, your point is moot, since Latvian is one of the smalles European languages (~2 million speakers around the world), the larger languages should have even more information.

Again, it's not Netflix, it's just you and your inability to do research, so, say good bye to your left foot as you said earlier, because you lost your bet


Who knew!

Roel Verschueren wrote:

Franjo Varšić wrote:

In the fourth part, do you need to time the subtitles as well, or just type them in?


Franjo,
I don't understand why you are so afraid of this all?
I see you are a basic member and joined Proz.com this year in January.
Or you are really a beginner to translation and have nothing to add to your profile, or you are registered at the wrong platform.
If you are a real translator, with some kind of experience, just jump in the bath and start translating. Else, I am afraid this is nothing for you.

Wish you all the best, whatever you decide.


Not afraid, it's a great opportunity and want to maximize my chances by getting as much info as possible.



Why would anyone provide you with the info on what words you might expect in the test? Everyone's chances should be equal, thus doing so, we would harm other candidates in your language pair, who don't read this forum. What you are doing is a simple fishing for info to get you in a more privileged position than others.
I'm sorry, but this is very unprofessional.


Then why talk about the contents of the test at all?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
silkinpark
Argentina
system requirements Apr 12

Gianni Pastore wrote:

...but what do you think of the system requirements for the test? I registered and all only to discover that I couldn't start the test because my OS is Win7 (Win 8+ required) and I have an internet speed slower than 20Mb/sec. How disappointing!


i had no problem taking the test with Win7 and a 6mb internet connection, so maybe you should just try


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jocelin M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:53
English to French
+ ...
One week now Apr 13

that I'm trying to take the test. Received nothing on my phone and the support... well, I've been trying to get their help for five days now, even made another mail just in case and no response in five days.
I love what Netflix does but that makes me quite afraid of how it could be to work with them.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It worked all right with Windows XP Apr 13

silkinpark wrote:

Gianni Pastore wrote:

...but what do you think of the system requirements for the test? I registered and all only to discover that I couldn't start the test because my OS is Win7 (Win 8+ required) and I have an internet speed slower than 20Mb/sec. How disappointing!


i had no problem taking the test with Win7 and a 6mb internet connection, so maybe you should just try


I can choose to boot my computer with either Windows XP (my default) from a hard drive, or Windows 10 from a SSD. The first option makes everything work much faster, that's why I use it as the default.

I had no trouble whatsoever taking the test under Windows XP, however my connection is 60 MBPS.

Quite frankly, anyone intending to work with video needs a fast connection. You can't spend days downloading the video to work on. Download time is part of your whole turnaround. However that depends a lot on the speed of the server you are getting files from.

I hope their server can feed video at 20 MBPS. I'm quite disappointed with Dropbox where, in spite of a paid subscription, I never get to download faster than 0.25~0.50 MBPS from them.

Anyway, their video came streaming quite steadily, no jitter.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:53
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
One for the skeptics and French-speakers Apr 13

The ATAA has had some pretty interesting things to say about Hermes and there was a great article in Telerama the other day (in French): http://www.telerama.fr/cinema/netflix-invente-l-uberisation-du-sous-titrage,156558.php

There's also a link to Netflix's rates. They aren't particularly appealing.

It's also worth noting that the minimum acceptable rate for subtitling cited by the President of the ATAA is €15/minute. Useful information for the hundreds of people that have asked that question before and then chosen to work for under €4/min.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Magdalena Bardalinska
Poland
Local time: 05:53
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Interview Apr 13

Georgie Scott wrote:

The ATAA has had some pretty interesting things to say about Hermes and there was a great article in Telerama the other day (in French): http://www.telerama.fr/cinema/netflix-invente-l-uberisation-du-sous-titrage,156558.php

There's also a link to Netflix's rates. They aren't particularly appealing.

It's also worth noting that the minimum acceptable rate for subtitling cited by the President of the ATAA is €15/minute. Useful information for the hundreds of people that have asked that question before and then chosen to work for under €4/min.


I have no command of French whatsoever, but I tried to read the article through Google Translate and it seems that de la Cruz thinks that the whole test is reviewed by computers which is obviously not true. And translating one episode taking up to a week? Seriously? And I have really nothing against being paid 15$ per minute (although I think she may be thinking only about French right now) but I really would like to know where on Earth you can get paid like that.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Erzsebet Basch  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 05:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
15 EUR per minute? That will be the day... Apr 13

I read the article translated with google. It says that it is not possible to work for less than 15 EUR per minute. Well, I have yet to find agencies or vendors paying 15 EUR per minute.


Georgie Scott wrote:

The ATAA has had some pretty interesting things to say about Hermes and there was a great article in Telerama the other day (in French): http://www.telerama.fr/cinema/netflix-invente-l-uberisation-du-sous-titrage,156558.php

There's also a link to Netflix's rates. They aren't particularly appealing.

It's also worth noting that the minimum acceptable rate for subtitling cited by the President of the ATAA is €15/minute. Useful information for the hundreds of people that have asked that question before and then chosen to work for under €4/min.


[Edited at 2017-04-13 13:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-13 13:18 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
scribext
United States
Local time: 22:53
Italian to English
Maybe you did not enter the "H" character? Apr 15

Hi,

maybe the passwords don't work because you are entering just the numeric part of the password? They have the format H0000000, and you need to enter the whole string of characters, "H" included.

Hope this helps


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
Tried it Apr 15

scribext wrote:

Hi,

maybe the passwords don't work because you are entering just the numeric part of the password? They have the format H0000000, and you need to enter the whole string of characters, "H" included.

Hope this helps


That's how I did it, but still get a message to the tune of "Wrong H or phone number."

How long did you folks who've taken the test wait for your link?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 06:53
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Error should have been fixed Apr 15

Franjo Varšić wrote:

scribext wrote:

Hi,

maybe the passwords don't work because you are entering just the numeric part of the password? They have the format H0000000, and you need to enter the whole string of characters, "H" included.

Hope this helps


That's how I did it, but still get a message to the tune of "Wrong H or phone number."

How long did you folks who've taken the test wait for your link?


I got the same error at the beginning of April when I tried to login. At that point, it was discovered that the system gave out these errors for longer H numbers, although both your H number and last digits of the phone number were in fact correct. It was later fixed, but it took some time. I managed to login this week without further issues. The registration and getting various codes and the link via SMS was smooth.

The test itself was not difficult and it covers the main tasks that are currently needed. It can be completed in a much shorter time, so I think the time given is quite sufficient for extra research, checking your work, etc. No reason to rush through it, there's plenty of time.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Evaluators Apr 15

Does anyone here know the names, CV, experience of the creators and evaluators of this Netflix Hermes test?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Supposedly nobody will Apr 15

behisresponse wrote:

Does anyone here know the names, CV, experience of the creators and evaluators of this Netflix Hermes test?


I can state that I am NOT one of them, however I never disclose the names of organizations I evaluate translator tests for, and I think it is in the best of their interest to refrain from revealing my name as such either.

I hope the multiple-choice tests are computer-scored with the right answers. The subtitling tests have to be manually scored, possibly by someone merely clicking on the 'wrong' ones, each applicant being allowed a number thereof that should correspond to 20% of the total. Perhaps a second pair of eyes would go over that afterwards.

No big deal, however considering the quantity of people who said everywhere they managed to successfully operate the system (many didn't), Netflix/Hermes must be overwhelmed.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
All bark no bite Apr 15

José Henrique, I've been there too.
And as it is the case with any other company in whatever business, regardless how many tests, they're not going to get the best ones. They know it and they're just trying to cut out the middlemen.
That's my humble opinion.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
All bark and no bite 2 Apr 15

Besides, it may happen that a translator with 20+ years of experience, let's say, is evaluated by some "newbie" with 10 years of experience. Or that they have different opinions about something. What's that good for?
The true professional proves him/herself on a daily basis. A mere test won't get them what they're looking for, if they're looking for the best, and they know it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Roel Verschueren  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 05:53
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Get real Apr 15

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

behisresponse wrote:

Does anyone here know the names, CV, experience of the creators and evaluators of this Netflix Hermes test?


I can state that I am NOT one of them, however I never disclose the names of organizations I evaluate translator tests for, and I think it is in the best of their interest to refrain from revealing my name as such either.

I hope the multiple-choice tests are computer-scored with the right answers. The subtitling tests have to be manually scored, possibly by someone merely clicking on the 'wrong' ones, each applicant being allowed a number thereof that should correspond to 20% of the total. Perhaps a second pair of eyes would go over that afterwards.

No big deal, however considering the quantity of people who said everywhere they managed to successfully operate the system (many didn't), Netflix/Hermes must be overwhelmed.


It is very simple:
Netflix launched an idea to solve it's double problem: complaints about bad subtitling (1), and (2) an unexpected increase of subtitling work for an increasing number of series that their 'normal' vendors could no longer coop with.
Be assured that the pressure upon Netflix for delivering better quality subtitling for many countries is huge.

The only problem is, that they have set up a system (Hermes) to attract translators/subtitlers which was not prepared to handle hundreds of thousands of applicants who wanted to participate in the contest/test, (mainly because of the overwhelming media coverage about their Hermes plan).

This said. The Hermes program is out there. The system works (if not for some, mostly due to not understanding the way the system works, having no time to wait for the right SMS to come in with the right code, not reading how you should log in to their system), being indulgent, mostly.

Most of my colleagues who have done the test in the meantime agree that it is really straightforward, and that the only thing we worry about is (1) the way Netflix is going to "judge" about our results, and (2) remuneration.

We don't like algorithms, no one in flesh and blood does, and we have doubts about the moment when we passed the algorithms, the "human" evaluator deciding on test 4 and 5 is any better then we are. He/she can't be, right?
Absolutely legitimate.

But this is the test, those are the circumstances, and this is the world you, and for the sake of honesty, I live in.
So, or you go for it and live the process, or you stay out and maybe you are to be right.

Everything else is unimportant. I guess.





[Bijgewerkt op 2017-04-15 20:50 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Advanced search


Translation news





Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs