Do Subtitling Training Programs exist?
Thread poster: Ingrid Weber (X)
Ingrid Weber (X)
Ingrid Weber (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Oct 12, 2001

Are there training programs for translators who want to learn how to subtitle foreign films?

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:15
English to German
+ ...
a link to several...and some advice on breaking into the field Oct 13, 2001

Please check out the following URl which lists several (European) training facilities

http://www.esist.org/training.html.

I do lots of voice-overs for films and ( mostly) promotional videos.When starting out I called all movies studios in our area( Vancouver happens to have quite a few), was invited to do a sample tape, and bingo! got my first assignment that way. I never let on that it was my fi
... See more
Please check out the following URl which lists several (European) training facilities

http://www.esist.org/training.html.

I do lots of voice-overs for films and ( mostly) promotional videos.When starting out I called all movies studios in our area( Vancouver happens to have quite a few), was invited to do a sample tape, and bingo! got my first assignment that way. I never let on that it was my first time, though ).

Sub-titles were a spin-off from those jobs- I left my business card and was referred from one studio to the next.In my experience it works best when you go there in person,(tell them that you happened to be in the area!) and make a personal impression- leave your card and wait what happens.

Viel Glück! johanna
Collapse

Nicole Worbis (X)
Nicole Worbis (X)
Local time: 09:15
English to German
Subtitling Oct 15, 2001

Hi IMW,

unfortunately I can\'t tell you if there are any programs (software) teaching you how to do subtitles. However, the site Johanna mentioned might be helpful to you.

But as far as the subtitle translation and of course the studios are concerned, I think it\'s not that easy. Most studios/clients want you to have not only the necessary subtitling software but also the necessary hardware (modified VCR with jogshuttle etc.) since they also want you to do the spot
... See more
Hi IMW,

unfortunately I can\'t tell you if there are any programs (software) teaching you how to do subtitles. However, the site Johanna mentioned might be helpful to you.

But as far as the subtitle translation and of course the studios are concerned, I think it\'s not that easy. Most studios/clients want you to have not only the necessary subtitling software but also the necessary hardware (modified VCR with jogshuttle etc.) since they also want you to do the spotting i.e. the timing or the cues of the subtitles.

I think you should read as much information as possible on subtitling (articles on the internet, books...) and try to find a company which lets specialized subtitlers do the spotting and the translator only has to do the translation. This is not impossible! I did it that way a few years ago and it worked. Most of these companies even have proprietary software which they lend out to translators for free.

But if you are really interested in this profession you will have to buy your own subtitling equipment sooner or later, which can be quite expensive.

If you have any questions, let me know. I\'d happy to answer them.

Good luck!

Nicole
Collapse

Ingrid Weber (X)
Ingrid Weber (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 15, 2001

Thank you for your information about subtitle training programs. It was very helpful.

Stéphanie Rackind
Stéphanie Rackind  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:15
English to French
+ ...
Lilles - France Oct 26, 2001

Hi,

I know that there is a course of \"traduction audiovisuel\" in Lilles, France, which is exactly what you are looking for but in french I\'d think.

That is all I know. I cannot give you more details.

Hope it helps anyway

mirnanina (X)
mirnanina (X)
English
I'm looking for... Feb 22, 2008

Hi, I'm from Venezuela and I'm studying "Modern Languages". I'd like to do something related to my career this summer and I'm looking for a subtitling course or training in the U.S.A. I'm aiming to learn how to understand "everything" in English and subtitle the movie or documentary, etc in english too. I've searched for days in the www but It's difficult to find something serious with all the advertising, so if someone could tell me if what I'm looking for exists for non American people, it wou... See more
Hi, I'm from Venezuela and I'm studying "Modern Languages". I'd like to do something related to my career this summer and I'm looking for a subtitling course or training in the U.S.A. I'm aiming to learn how to understand "everything" in English and subtitle the movie or documentary, etc in english too. I've searched for days in the www but It's difficult to find something serious with all the advertising, so if someone could tell me if what I'm looking for exists for non American people, it would be great!! =DCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do Subtitling Training Programs exist?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »