https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/41794-any_helpful_tips_for_one_more_wannabe_subtitler.html

Any helpful tips for one more wannabe subtitler?
Thread poster: Maria Parziali
Maria Parziali
Maria Parziali
Local time: 19:54
English to Greek
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

Well, i should start by saying that i am not into subtitling. at least not yet..;) i've been working as a translator occasionally since 2000 and my main occupation is teaching English but all these years i've been thinking about subtitling and mainly because i don't Know anyone who is into this i have been delaying it.. i'm not sure whether you could help me (since i'm sure my questions are going to sound silly..) but i' m going to ask anyway.. how does the system work? i mean how can i find th... See more
Well, i should start by saying that i am not into subtitling. at least not yet..;) i've been working as a translator occasionally since 2000 and my main occupation is teaching English but all these years i've been thinking about subtitling and mainly because i don't Know anyone who is into this i have been delaying it.. i'm not sure whether you could help me (since i'm sure my questions are going to sound silly..) but i' m going to ask anyway.. how does the system work? i mean how can i find the relevant companies and take a subtitling test? i would like to give it a try..Collapse

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
Local time: 19:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
You should practically show real interest in this work. Nothing is difficult. Feb 14, 2006

Translation is both art and science. It seems that you know this science based on your theoretical experience as being a teacher. Theory itself is not enough and based on the assumption you know the difference between TEFL and TESL. The second one focuses on experience and the former on theory. Linguists say the latter works properly. You can do subtitling but you have to practice translation first. I have been working as a translator for ten years and every now and then I find something new. Su... See more
Translation is both art and science. It seems that you know this science based on your theoretical experience as being a teacher. Theory itself is not enough and based on the assumption you know the difference between TEFL and TESL. The second one focuses on experience and the former on theory. Linguists say the latter works properly. You can do subtitling but you have to practice translation first. I have been working as a translator for ten years and every now and then I find something new. Subtitling concentrates and has to do more with context, body language, hesitation fillers, denotations, connotations and language idiomatic forms. My advice once again is to practice translation first and consider cultural aspects.

Best regards.

Mr. Imad
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any helpful tips for one more wannabe subtitler?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »