subsequent and first translation
Thread poster: saggi
saggi
Hindi to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2006

I'm a subtitler and I've just been asked to quote rates for subsequent and first translation. Although I've been subtitling for a while I haven't come across these terms. Do they have something to do with time cues/spotting?
Also, would the two rates differ substantially? Thanks for all help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvano
Local time: 16:59
English to French
You're right Nov 3, 2006

Hi, saggi

First translation is when you do time-cueing AND translation. Subsequent is when you only do translation with cues being done previously by someone else.
As far as rates are concerned, I'd say you should charge around 30 or 40% more when you do time-cueing yourself.

Regards,
Sylvano

theangel  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:59
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Subsequent Nov 3, 2006

SUBSEQUENT TRANSLATION: it's doing a translation from a master file or English template. The master file will already be time cued so it will only be a matter of replacing the English into another language.

So it's usually paid a bit less...but not so much less

saggi
Hindi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 3, 2006

Thanks a lot, Sylvano.

I wish I could ask for 30 to 40% more but in the meanwhile I've been given a rate of USD 5.5 for subsequent and USD 6.7 for first translation. I've been told that's fairly typical of rates in the US...

I'll be more careful next time!
Thanks again.
PS I'm new here and it's good to know there are so many of us out there.

saggi
Hindi to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Theangel Nov 4, 2006

Thanks, theangel.

I've never worked for US firms before.
I do feel my rate of USD 6.7 for First translation, as I now understand the term thanks to you guys, is quite low -- considering that it actually involves two jobs, one ought to be paid for both!

I don't mind the USD 5.5 for subsequent translation, especially if it's non-technical, but time cueing is a lot of work.

theangel wrote:

SUBSEQUENT TRANSLATION: it's doing a translation from a master file or English template. The master file will already be time cued so it will only be a matter of replacing the English into another language.

So it's usually paid a bit less...but not so much less

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

subsequent and first translation

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs