[Subtitling Rates] subtitling day rate
Thread poster: mystymy
mystymy
mystymy
Local time: 01:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2006

Does anyone know what a day rate is for subtitling? I have the opportunity to go into the studio for 3 weeks. They will pay me on a day rate, but what is the day rate? It is an end client not a subtitle agency nor a translation agency.

I do not want to over or under price myself.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-15 18:31 GMT]

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 07:33
English to French
Be careful... Nov 30, 2006

I don't know about day rates, but in my opinion, the larger the rate 'unit', the lower the pay.
Subtitlers started being paid 'per subtitle', then 'per minute', then 'per program', and now 'per day'...
All depends on how many hours in a workday, how many subtitles in the programs, how many programs to be done in those three weeks...

Please let us know about the rate you finally got.

[Edited at 2006-11-30 17:34]

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:33
English to German
+ ...
You decide Nov 30, 2006

Take your hourly rate and find out how much hours you will have to work on the project per day, multiply these figures with each other and you have your daily rate.

If you do not have an hourly rate, check how much work you normally can do in one hour and how much money you would get for it (e.g. 300 words for 0.10 EUR per word would make 30 EUR per hour).

This is what your time is worth and this is what you should charge, then. Of course, plus VAT if applicable. ... See more
Take your hourly rate and find out how much hours you will have to work on the project per day, multiply these figures with each other and you have your daily rate.

If you do not have an hourly rate, check how much work you normally can do in one hour and how much money you would get for it (e.g. 300 words for 0.10 EUR per word would make 30 EUR per hour).

This is what your time is worth and this is what you should charge, then. Of course, plus VAT if applicable.
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:33
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Exactly Dec 1, 2006

Claudia Krysztofiak wrote:

This is what your time is worth and this is what you should charge, then. Of course, plus VAT if applicable.

I fully agree with what Claudia said. And as suggested by Sylvano, you must analyse the offer critically.

Good luck.

mystymy
mystymy
Local time: 01:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for day rate advice Dec 1, 2006

I will take the rate that I charge per hour and apply it to the day. The job is for 3 weeks, full days 8 or so hours for some of the evening programme.

I believe it would be three different programmes. There is no overtime, the work must be completed before the programme goes on the air, which means once it is handed to the technician/camera/sound manager our day is over, until the next day. It should prove interesting. I will inform yu all of the reate I received.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Subtitling Rates] subtitling day rate

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »