Thread poster: Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Germany
Local time: 07:32
French to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2007

Anyone who would like to share their thoughts on subtitling training? I'm wondering if you think subtitling training is necessary, if getting a degree or certificate is necessary or just obtaining an internship would suffice, and what are the main reasons I should pursue subtitling training?

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not important Mar 28, 2007

I think subtitling training is not so important. Your question is not clear to me. What do you mean by subtitling? I ask because there are two aspects of subtitling. One is the translation of the subtitle script and another is to put the translated words into the movie. If you indicate the second, then the training may be necessary. But I think that is the job of DTP and our clients are well able to handle them. As a translator we just translate the subtitling files. For do this, you must have a... See more
I think subtitling training is not so important. Your question is not clear to me. What do you mean by subtitling? I ask because there are two aspects of subtitling. One is the translation of the subtitle script and another is to put the translated words into the movie. If you indicate the second, then the training may be necessary. But I think that is the job of DTP and our clients are well able to handle them. As a translator we just translate the subtitling files. For do this, you must have a command on vocabularies, good knowledge of source and target languages which can be gained by your education and experience- not by a particular training. Of course you should know the sequence and maximum number of words inserted in a frame but here the client will help you.Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:32
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
it depends Mar 28, 2007

Perhaps a degree in subtitling would be a bit too much but a good course in subtitling within some translation study program or as a separate course would be an option for me. Of course it all depends on the contents of the said course and what is it that you're expecting from it.
As for translating text of subtitles and then separately puting the subtitles into the film in my case its done by the same person - when I do subtitling now and then I work with a subtitling program that allows
... See more
Perhaps a degree in subtitling would be a bit too much but a good course in subtitling within some translation study program or as a separate course would be an option for me. Of course it all depends on the contents of the said course and what is it that you're expecting from it.
As for translating text of subtitles and then separately puting the subtitles into the film in my case its done by the same person - when I do subtitling now and then I work with a subtitling program that allows me to put the subtitle exactly where its supposed to be (but perhaps in other countries it works in some other way).
Stella

[Edited at 2007-03-28 08:17]
Collapse

Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Germany
Local time: 07:32
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 29, 2007

Thanks for your input. It was good to hear your opinions.
Cindy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling Training Important

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »