Thread poster: Atena Hensch

Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 15:19
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Sep 16, 2007

Hi there
I hope I am putting this one in the correct forum.
I am translating an audio and time coding it as well. I always used one general rule (time, translation and repeat). Is there any special way or theory behind it?

cheers
Atena

Direct link Reply with quote

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What is the purpose of it? Sep 17, 2007

I wonder what is the purpose of time-coding an audio file.

If it's for subtitling, there are many rules involved. If these are not followed, the translation will be useless. In any case, there are several standard formats. You can create most of them with the free Subtitle Workshop from http://www.urusoft.net/products.php?cat=sw〈=1 .

If it's for dubbing, there are myriad factors involved to get lip-sync. You won't be able to deal with them with audio alone; the video file will be needed. If it's only off-camera narration, the dubbing studio will specify the timing format IF they want any.

It it's for creating a multilingual narration for a PowerPoint-like presentation, the duration of each phrase is more important than the in/out times.

In any case, the safest way out is to ask the client about it. There are so many ways to do it, that it can never be a silly question.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

time coding

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs