Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 04:37
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2007

Hi there
I hope I am putting this one in the correct forum.
I am translating an audio and time coding it as well. I always used one general rule (time, translation and repeat). Is there any special way or theory behind it?

cheers
Atena

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
What is the purpose of it? Sep 17, 2007

I wonder what is the purpose of time-coding an audio file.

If it's for subtitling, there are many rules involved. If these are not followed, the translation will be useless. In any case, there are several standard formats. You can create most of them with the free Subtitle Workshop from http://www.urusoft.net/products.php?cat=sw〈=1 .

If it's for dubbing, there are my
... See more
I wonder what is the purpose of time-coding an audio file.

If it's for subtitling, there are many rules involved. If these are not followed, the translation will be useless. In any case, there are several standard formats. You can create most of them with the free Subtitle Workshop from http://www.urusoft.net/products.php?cat=sw〈=1 .

If it's for dubbing, there are myriad factors involved to get lip-sync. You won't be able to deal with them with audio alone; the video file will be needed. If it's only off-camera narration, the dubbing studio will specify the timing format IF they want any.

It it's for creating a multilingual narration for a PowerPoint-like presentation, the duration of each phrase is more important than the in/out times.

In any case, the safest way out is to ask the client about it. There are so many ways to do it, that it can never be a silly question.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

time coding

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »