Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Can anyone tell me whether...
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2003

...the Swedish Chef in the Muppets, was really Swedish? Or was it an American puppet just pretending to be Swedish?

Direct link Reply with quote

George Hopkins
Local time: 20:55
Swedish to English
No Swede Mar 22, 2003

Definitely not a Swede, not even the turnip type.
[addsig]

Renassans LS
German to Swedish
+ ...
I'd say he was faking it! Mar 22, 2003

If my memory is not playing tricks on me, he was just faking it. That is, he was just uttering sounds, without actual meaning.

It\'s sad when you think about it - the internationally most famous Swede, wasn\'t acutally Swedish.

I wonder who would win a celebrity deathmatch - Björn Borg or the chef from the muppets!?!?

Reino Havbrandt
Sweden
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
He was. Mar 22, 2003

[Edited at 2003-09-16 21:59]

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great to know Mar 22, 2003

Thanks for sharing this Reino. So glad to hear he settled down with a nice barbie-doll. He always struck me as a bit of a loose cannon who was likely to do something with his chopper that he might live to regret - particular when there was that funny business going on with Miss Piggy. Does he still stay in touch with Kermit?

[ This Message was edited by: The Tautologist on 2003-03-22 11:52]

Hans-Bertil Karlsson
Sweden
Norwegian to Swedish
+ ...
Muppet chef Mar 22, 2003

I just read an interview with the guy Reino mentions, and I think this need some more explanation:

The real chef (Reinos friend) had a TV show in USA and in one way or another got very stressed and said some words in Swedish.

The people who was doing the Muppet show heard this, and thought it sounded so funny that they wanted to use it for their character.

As far as I remember they asked him for permission (and got it).

I think the whole interview was published in ICA-kuriren (swedish magazine)

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you sure... Mar 23, 2003

...that this chef wasn\'t actually based on the character in the Muppets?

[ This Message was edited by: The Tautologist on 2003-03-23 03:23]

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bjorn Borg vs the Swedish Chef Mar 23, 2003

No contest - Bjorn was too much of a nice guy.

I do, however, think a head-to-head between Animal, the drummer from the Muppets band, and Ilie Nastase would make quite an interestting contest. (Sorry, I do realise that this is off-topic given that Nastase was of course Romanian not Swedish... not sure about Animal\'s nationality).

George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Nobel Mar 23, 2003

Han-Bertil\'s explanation seems most plausible.

I do believe there are one or two better-known Swedes than the Chef, for example Alfred Nobel (we get reminders every year), Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA and one of the richest men in the world, and my own favorite Jussi Björling the greatest tenor ever!
[addsig]

Hans-Bertil Karlsson
Sweden
Norwegian to Swedish
+ ...
swedish chef Mar 23, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-03-23 03:22, The Tautologist wrote:

...that this chef wasn\'t actually based on the character in the Muppets? [end quote]

No, the opposite !! The muppet chef was based on the real swedish chef. I am 100% sure about that

Hans-Bertil Karlsson
Sweden
Norwegian to Swedish
+ ...
And what about.... Mar 23, 2003

Don\'t forget ABBA (the group not the herings)

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't forget ABBA.... Mar 23, 2003

... if you don\'t mind Hans, I\'d rather try my best to.

Swedish red herrings, on the other hand, are something for which I have a particular fondness.

[ This Message was edited by: The Tautologist on 2003-03-24 02:24]

Hans-Bertil Karlsson
Sweden
Norwegian to Swedish
+ ...
Opera chef :-) Mar 24, 2003

BTW:

I just read that the webb-browser \"Opera\" is released in a new version 5.01. This is a \"joke-version\" that \"translates\" Microsofts MSN website into the language of the Swedish chef in the muppet show (called Bork langúage). When you enter the MSN-site all you see is Bork Bork,,,

The people behind Opera made this as an \"answer\" to Microsofts action against Opera: If you visit the MSN-site using Opera, you will get lots of (fault) error messages, indicating that Opera is a very \"buggy\" web-browser - which it as a matter of fact is not at all !!

Bork Bork - Microsoft !!

Susanne Rosenberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Danish to German
+ ...
Bork bork vs. Björn Bork... Mar 24, 2003

Isn\'t it funny, though, that in the synchronized German version the chef was not Swedish, but Danish! This which would actually make him the most famous Dane in the world (or at least in Germany!), since we have no ABBA and no BB...

Not many years ago people in Germany kept asking me what \'smørrebrød\' is, since this is what the chef shouted out in the German version while \'tossing the salad\'.

By the way, I\'ve heard that the Spanish TV audience know Manuel (the Spanish waiter at Fawlty Towers) as an Italian or something - I wonder what makes people change those great characters? Although, in Manuel\'s case, I believe that a few people might actually have been offended...

Anyway, lots of greetings to everybody from sunny Germany...

Horst2  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Right track ! Mar 28, 2003

Thanks Susanne,

you got me on the right=Danish track. It shows on the other hand both that people/charakters are easily interchangeable ( and at the end the same ) and that localization creates actually some specific value,

Horst2

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone tell me whether...

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs