Thread poster: veratek

veratek
France
Local time: 01:29
French to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2008

Hi,

What do you recommend as good exercises for practicing conversation (intermediate or advanced students - groups of 3-4 students)?

And, as a subset of the above, how would you use a short article for a conversation practice?

- a short news video?

- what are some tips for actions from the teacher to aid their students to participate in conversation practice, especially if the students are a bit shy - you throw out a subject and they say one or two things and stop? how much do you interrupt to correct their mistakes? do you do a interrupting/correcting and a totally free conversation session?

Thanks,

Vera

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 16:29
English to Russian
+ ...
What I did when I was teaching Spanish Mar 31, 2008

Hello, Vera,

When I was teaching Spanish to small groups and private students, I created my own dialogs to use in class. My purpose was to have these dialogs as close to real life as possible, so my students would go out into the real world and start using what they've just learned.

I also created games for my students. For example, I cut pictures out of clothing catalog, glued them to index cards, and we would play "market" game, "buying" and "selling" dresses, shoes, sweaters. This way, we would learn names of clothing articles, difference between masculine and feminine words, colors and numbers.

As to interrupting/correcting mistakes, I corrected the big mistakes, such as saying "la sueter" instead of "el sueter", but usually overlooked the smaller ones, as to not to discourage my students.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask me.

Alexandra

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 21:29
Retell the story Mar 31, 2008

Regarding the short story and the video, I would ask the students to retell the story. Each student only needs to contribute one sentence, but it must be coherent with the sentence given before as far as content and logic are concerned.

It works well in all language classes I have had. The chain exercise can also be applied in
vocabulary exercise, i.e. the last letter of the previous word must be the fisrt letter of the word to come.

Prepare some paper slips, on which only the question or the anwser is given, ask them to supply the other half; do roll-play...

veratek
France
Local time: 01:29
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
question about dialogs Apr 3, 2008

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:

When I was teaching Spanish to small groups and private students, I created my own dialogs to use in class. My purpose was to have these dialogs as close to real life as possible, so my students would go out into the real world and start using what they've just learned.

Alexandra

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't quite understand what you meant about "creating dialogs" Did you write out a short dialogue and had students read it outloud, then role play it on their own without looking at the paper? Or is it something completely different?

Vera

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

good conversation exercises???

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs