Mobile menu

Help!!!For my swedish
Thread poster: pelucas
Local time: 16:22
English to Chinese
Jul 7, 2008

hello,could anybody tell me some good ways,websites,books,or something to learn Swedish well?
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you so much.
and i also have a question about the pronunciation of swedish,we have phonetic notations in english so that i can use it to read new words.does swedish also have phonetics just like english? i can not read new words of swedish now,i don't know the accent or the tone.

[修改时间: 2008-07-07 20:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Annika Persson  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
real life Swedish Jul 8, 2008

Hi Peluca!

Unfortunately, I don't know of any websites or textbooks that are recommendable, but I can tell you how I got started with learning Swedish.

I started off with some textbooks (for German learners), and they were kind of okay, at least for learning the basics, like sentence structure, verb conjugation, etc. Honestly speaking, though, they never got me past that stage of "hi, I'm a tourist, and I'd like to pretend that I can speak Swedish myckettt braaa". So I took to other means instead:

- I bought some CDs of Swedish-singing artists (e.g. Nordman, Per Gessle), made sure I could find the exact lyrics to the songs in either the booklet or online, and then I simply sang along... a lot. For some reason, it was much easier for me to get the hang of the pronunciation through singing. Swedish is said to be a language that is more sung than spoken (at least that's what they say in Germany), so maybe that's why.

- I watched movies, mostly children's movies like Astrid Lindgren's stories. If you're lucky, you can get Swedish subtitles to help you get access to what you're hearing. I'm not entirely sure if films produced in Sweden always include Swedish subtitles (they should, though, for the benefit of the hearing impaired), but I think that animated movies (like Hitta Nemo or something like that) should be a safe bet, as those DVDs usually include both the Swedish and the original English version, so Swedish subtitles should be included as well.

- I took some university courses, do you have access to anything like that? Try (for summer courses) or (for university courses)

Maybe you could find a Tandem partner here:

Mostly, I think you have to get into contact with real, spoken Swedish - it's really, really hard to get the pronunciation right just by looking at some phonetic symbols. And, yes, the phonetic alphabet applies to Swedish, too, but I haven't seen it in use much. Check this page for some books and stuff on Swedish pronunciation:

Nevertheless, getting into contact with real, Swedish speaking people is still the number one way to go. How else are you ever going to learn how to pronounce "stjärnor" properly, or "sjuksköterska"?

(You'll probably have to convince your Swedish conversation partners to not slip into English, though, they seem to really love doing that to beginners...)

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you look at these? Jul 8, 2008ästaren

or search in google for learning swedish

Of course best are courses from your native language.

George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Slow but sure Jul 9, 2008

Nevertheless, getting into contact with real, Swedish speaking people is still the number one way to go. How else are you ever going to learn how to pronounce "stjärnor" properly, or "sjuksköterska"?

Annika's comment above is the best advice.

I've been at it for more than fifty years, and am improving gradually, but will never reach the stage where I can write fluently.
My writing is of a similar standard to that of a Swede 'who can english good'.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help!!!For my swedish

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs