Monica_mdq (X)
Monica_mdq (X)
Argentina
Local time: 07:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2008

Hi, there

I am currently working of for a multinational company specializing in trucks as an ESP teacher. Could you recommend any high-quality texbook for this context to develop the four skills?

Thanks in advance.

Mónica

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:42
German to English
extra-sensory perception? Jul 24, 2008

Sorry Monica, but what does ESP stand for?

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:12
English to Hindi
+ ...
English for Specific Purposes Jul 24, 2008

English for Specific Purposes / English for Special Purposes = ESP.

Monica, why don't you check out the TESOL website at www.tesol.org or take out a TESOL global membership, which is quite cheap.

Roomy

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:42
German to English
English for Specific Purposes Jul 24, 2008

Hi Monica - I haven't taught English as a foreign language for many years, but recently I was asked to administer a TOEFL exam to a group of managers of a bottling plant here in Guadalajara. After the exam I realized how useless and frustrating it must have been for these people. They needed English for their special purposes: communicating with English speakers on the telephone and in person about the work they perform every day. The TOEFL exam is designed for people wishing to attend a US coll... See more
Hi Monica - I haven't taught English as a foreign language for many years, but recently I was asked to administer a TOEFL exam to a group of managers of a bottling plant here in Guadalajara. After the exam I realized how useless and frustrating it must have been for these people. They needed English for their special purposes: communicating with English speakers on the telephone and in person about the work they perform every day. The TOEFL exam is designed for people wishing to attend a US college.

If I were to teach adults specializing in trucks, I wouldn't want to use a textbook. I would want to analyze their jobs and develop my own set of teaching materials to meet their specific needs. Here's a very good article on the subject.

Teaching English for Specific Purposes (ESP)

In fact, as a general rule, while in ESL all four language skills; listening, reading, speaking, and writing, are stressed equally, in ESP it is a needs analysis that determines which language skills are most needed by the students, and the syllabus is designed accordingly. An ESP program, might, for example, emphasize the development of reading skills in students who are preparing for graduate work in business administration; or it might promote the development of spoken skills in students who are studying English in order to become tourist guides.

You have to set learning goals and then transform them into an instructional program with the timing of activities. One of your main tasks will be selecting, designing and organizing course materials, supporting the students in their efforts, and providing them with feedback on their progress.

http://www.usingenglish.com/articles/teaching-english-for-specific-purposes-esp.html
Collapse

Monica_mdq (X)
Monica_mdq (X)
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 24, 2008

very much for all the contributions.

Best,

Mónica

fugly
fugly

English
brrrumm brrrrumm Dec 10, 2008

Monica Zuccoli wrote:

Hi, there

I am currently working of for a multinational company specializing in trucks as an ESP teacher. Could you recommend any high-quality texbook for this context to develop the four skills?

Thanks in advance.

Mónica

Hey Monica, I have also just started working for a huge truck manufacturer in Austria as an English teacher. I was just browsing the web for some info on Technical English training and found your post.

Did you have any luck finding resources on this subject? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Monica_mdq (X)
Monica_mdq (X)
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Everyday Technical English Dec 12, 2008

Check this out. There is an updated edition, though.

Everyday Technical English

http://en.calameo.com/read/000004133c04e58f84960?authid=yJTxRBhoHfJX

Hope it comes in handy.
Greetings from Argentina,

Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ESP resources. Technical English

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »