Mobile menu

Resource: English Slang (w/ or w/o French Translations)
Thread poster: Anne Goff

Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:30
French to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2008

I just introduced a French friend of mine to the oh-so-fun M*rde! books with their collection of slang and naughty phrases in French and English. These books are a lot of fun if you want an easy-to-read introduction to French slang. Unfortunately, they don't offer as much English slang as you'd expect.

Now she'd like to find a similar book for learning English slang, but all the ones we've looked at are either very serious and require a lot of reading, or they are more a collection of idioms than an overview of the nasty things somewhat might yell at you in the subway.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:30
French to English
+ ...
Harraps French-English slang dictionary Aug 17, 2008

Harrap's published a French-English slang dictionary a few years ago. It's probably not bang up to date nowadays (don't think they've published a new ed) but has reasonable coverage as I recall.

In my own (on-line) French-English dictionary I've tried to include coverage of French slang-- for example, I've included various Verlan terms that aren't easy to find in other dictionaries-- but I always welcome suggested additions.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: English Slang (w/ or w/o French Translations)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs