Improving Source Language Writing Skills
Thread poster: kjmcguire
kjmcguire
kjmcguire
Netherlands
Local time: 18:15
Chinese to English
Aug 15, 2008

As translators, we're often told that we need a near-native command of our source language(s) and excellent writing skills in our native language(s). A friend of mine once asked me whether translators need to have near-native writing and speaking skills or whether we simply need to have an excellent understanding of the written language (ie. excellent reading comprehension skills). In my personal opinion, translators simply need to be able to read and understand their source text, be keen learne... See more
As translators, we're often told that we need a near-native command of our source language(s) and excellent writing skills in our native language(s). A friend of mine once asked me whether translators need to have near-native writing and speaking skills or whether we simply need to have an excellent understanding of the written language (ie. excellent reading comprehension skills). In my personal opinion, translators simply need to be able to read and understand their source text, be keen learners and, of course, be able to produce a perfectly understandable text in their target language. Anything else would be an added bonus.

Nevertheless, I feel that my Chinese writing skills are somewhat lacking and that I should devote more time to perfecting my writing skills. I certainly don't plan to start translating *into* Chinese but I would certainly like to be able to communicate with Chinese clients in their own language. A blog seems like a good way to work on my writing skills (and show exactly why I don't ever take on English>Chinese assignments!)

I'm curious to know if anyone else spends time perfecting their source language writing skills and, if so, how you go about doing that. Do you have a blog? Do you chat native speakers via instant messengers? Do you have a pen pal?
Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
The cheapest way... Aug 15, 2008

- I am married to a native speaker of my source language

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Seriously Aug 15, 2008

Sorry, couldn't help it

For me, the proz forums are an excellent way of improving my writing skills in English (my source language), so I can always excuse myself participating in OT posts...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improving Source Language Writing Skills

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »