Wanted: course law, economy, UK 13-17 October
Thread poster: transjura (X)
transjura (X)
transjura (X)
Local time: 08:36
German to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2008

I try to find a course to brush up my English, preferably in the UK.
I am an experienced English-German legal translator (15ys+) and have the opportunity to go to the UK for one week, i.e. from 13-17 Oct. (2008 that is). What I am looking for is the possibility to learn in a truly English-speaking environment. So it is not so much about the contents themselves, but the contact with the language that matters. The course does not necessarily need to address non-native speakers. I would be
... See more
I try to find a course to brush up my English, preferably in the UK.
I am an experienced English-German legal translator (15ys+) and have the opportunity to go to the UK for one week, i.e. from 13-17 Oct. (2008 that is). What I am looking for is the possibility to learn in a truly English-speaking environment. So it is not so much about the contents themselves, but the contact with the language that matters. The course does not necessarily need to address non-native speakers. I would be glad to find anything that is not totally out of my working context, that's all. Do you have any ideas? Thank you so much for sharing with me your suggestions.
Carola
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
German to English
Try this Sep 17, 2008

Hi Carola,

Your dates are out-of-season for my City University seminars, but CLS is running a two-day seminar in London on October 13-14 that looks seriously interesting and should be right up your street. Details here:

http://www.cls-communication.com/en/company/news/news-en/article/320/9.html

Robin

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:36
German to English
+ ...
online guide to courses in London Sep 18, 2008

You didn't mention what part of the UK you're planning to visit, but if you will be in London, you might be able to find an interesting short course on the Floodlight website:

http://www.floodlight.co.uk/pls/courses/fl_home.pg_home

Floodlight says it's "the official guide to adult education courses in London". There are *thousands* of courses listed there.
... See more
You didn't mention what part of the UK you're planning to visit, but if you will be in London, you might be able to find an interesting short course on the Floodlight website:

http://www.floodlight.co.uk/pls/courses/fl_home.pg_home

Floodlight says it's "the official guide to adult education courses in London". There are *thousands* of courses listed there.

I have done a number of courses on all kinds of topics at the City Lit and have always found the instructors very competent and well-qualified and the courses excellent value for money. Their main building is also very centrally located.

http://www.citylit.ac.uk/

(City Lit courses are also listed on the Floodlight site.)
Collapse

transjura (X)
transjura (X)
Local time: 08:36
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Robin and urborn Sep 24, 2008

Your suggestions have been really helpful. I contacted CLS and a company that offers courses via floodlight. I hope that one them will work out fine.
Carola

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wanted: course law, economy, UK 13-17 October

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »