Mobile menu

Good on-line course with qualification for translation/interpreting.
Thread poster: bookwormkt
Local time: 20:08
French to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2008

I am looking for an on-line course to gain an qualification in translation, primarily French to English, and translation (French-English and vice versa). I am a native English speaker with a degree in English and French. I am a special needs advisory teacher at present. My Spoken and written French is very good/excellent and I translate in and out of French for family, friends and on a small scale for clients. I would like to expand this work. My preference is for a course with a recognised qualification. Due to work and family commitments I would need to do an on-line course (or at a pinch part time in Leeds or Bradford). I could start in January or next autumn.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote
Anne Lozac'h
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:08
English to French
Institute of Linguists Diploma in Translation Oct 26, 2008

I would recommend to try to pass the Institute of linguists Diploma in Translation as it is a recognised qualifications worldwide and you can take a distance learning course with London City University. This is what I am doing at the moment and I am very pleased about it. Basicallly, a module consists of 8 translations to do, you received and send them via e-mail, you have your own tutor and 2 tutorials per module.
Check the link below.
Good luck!

Emma Paulay  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:08
French to English
MA Translation at UWE (Bristol) Oct 26, 2008

I'm currently in my second year of the MA Translation at UWE, Bristol. It's a distance learning course, which I'm doing part time (French to English). Everything takes place via forums and sometimes 'chats' in virtual classrooms. You post your practice pieces for the whole class to see, which is quite daunting the first time, but in fact I find I learn just as much from other people's interpretations as from my own reading. For the core module you translate both ways, into and out of your chosen language.

There are students from all over the world, some of whom are already very experienced translators and I'm finding it very enriching to learn from them.

The general aim of the course is to get you to think about the translation process, to be able to say why one translation is better than another and on what basis etc.

In short, it's not cheap and it's challenging, but it's worth the effort. I think it's very different from the IOL diploma, which judges the quality of your translation work. I couldn't tell you which is 'better' and I might end up doing both!

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good on-line course with qualification for translation/interpreting.

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs