Thread poster: Tone Wittmann
Tone Wittmann
Tone Wittmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 2, 2004

Dear listmates,

a bit off topic, but could anybody help me with tips/information concerning good French courses for a 17 year old German girl leaving in my neighbourhood ?

Have you had a good experience yourself or heard about others who were very pleased...?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Greetings from Nuremberg, Germany
Tone

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
French in France or Germany? May 2, 2004

Tone Wittmann wrote:

Dear listmates,

a bit off topic, but could anybody help me with tips/information concerning good French courses for a 17 year old German girl leaving in my neighbourhood ?

Have you had a good experience yourself or heard about others who were very pleased...?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Greetings from Nuremberg, Germany
Tone

Tone,

You say "learning Fr in France" and yet you live in Nuremberg (and say "in my neighborhood"). Getting your locations correctly would be a start.

Have you tried Berlitz and the local Alliance Francaise?

Marcus

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 05:34
French to English
+ ...
refer to these websites :-) May 2, 2004

www.alliancefr.org/

Federation of Alliances Francaises -Services include tutoring and courses in French around the world.
www.afusa.org/

Tone Wittmann
Tone Wittmann  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
French in France May 2, 2004

Hello, I meant French in France, as she wants to get in touch with the language in its natural surroundings.

I spent 3 years in France in the eightees (in Bayeux, Normandy), but I haven´t got the up-to-date info concerning good courses nowadays...

So, I´m looking for internet-adresses or other info if anybody has some good experiences i.e. concerning courses in the southern part of France for young people who do not yet speek much French.

Greetings from T
... See more
Hello, I meant French in France, as she wants to get in touch with the language in its natural surroundings.

I spent 3 years in France in the eightees (in Bayeux, Normandy), but I haven´t got the up-to-date info concerning good courses nowadays...

So, I´m looking for internet-adresses or other info if anybody has some good experiences i.e. concerning courses in the southern part of France for young people who do not yet speek much French.

Greetings from Tone
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Look into Aix-en-Provence? May 2, 2004

http://www.iefee.com/

A link to l'Institut d'Etudes Françaises pour étudiants étrangers. They have language classes of all levels for foreign students. As to finding a place to stay, there must be some suggestions on the site.

Aix is a beautiful city, many students, and cultural interest.

Marie SERRA (X)
Marie SERRA (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
In Lyon May 3, 2004

Another idea: Lyon is an great town, not really in the south, but nice to visit and to live in;
You could try to have a list of french courses through the "Goethe Institut"
Phone + 33 4 72 77 08 88
Fax: + 33 4 72 40 91 55

Do your town have a special connection with a town in France ("ville jumelée"), or a school from your neighbourhood with a lycée, so that you find the place first, and then the good course...
Good luck
Marie Serra

Tatiana Nefyodova
Tatiana Nefyodova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:34
English to Russian
+ ...
au-pair? May 3, 2004

Has she considered an au-pair program?

Thierry Lafaye (X)
Thierry Lafaye (X)
English to French
+ ...
If she is highly motivated May 3, 2004

Hello all,

Courses or books are certainly a good way to start with but I felt limited when I was told that I talked “the book” very well. As a complementary option for live experience, I went for language exchanges found on the Internet when I arrived in Spain to much improve my Spanish (and still doing it as I consider very far from fluency).

For this, I simply searched the Internet and found some we
... See more
Hello all,

Courses or books are certainly a good way to start with but I felt limited when I was told that I talked “the book” very well. As a complementary option for live experience, I went for language exchanges found on the Internet when I arrived in Spain to much improve my Spanish (and still doing it as I consider very far from fluency).

For this, I simply searched the Internet and found some website for postings of various purposes and posted mine in my very rudimentary Spanish for what I was looking for and turn down upfront anyone who was looking for something else (it happens). It was very good as I could state that I wanted someone who is patient enough to let me speak my bad Spanish but also to correct me to improve it. In exchange, I was offering my "Ok-English" and my native French, applying the same patience and dedication to correcting my peer mistakes. It is fun, makes you meet local people, learn the actual language. Of course, she may have a few different ones with different availability, tastes, strong and weak points, etc.

Hope it may help open the options.
El Thierrito
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
A little late but.... Oct 11, 2004

Well, this comes perhaps a bit late for the young lady, but better late than never!
I came to France (Paris) three years ago to learn French.
I took one beginners course in the US before coming, which honestly did nothing for me.

Then, I signed up for INTENSIVE classes at Alliance Francaise for 6 months. (Intensive means four hours a day) With a one month break for a simple conversation course of 2 hours a day. The system works so that I was an average level 3 at the e
... See more
Well, this comes perhaps a bit late for the young lady, but better late than never!
I came to France (Paris) three years ago to learn French.
I took one beginners course in the US before coming, which honestly did nothing for me.

Then, I signed up for INTENSIVE classes at Alliance Francaise for 6 months. (Intensive means four hours a day) With a one month break for a simple conversation course of 2 hours a day. The system works so that I was an average level 3 at the end of 6 months, which means basic conversations and independance without quaking in my boots.

After that I signed up for the DULF (Diplome Universitaire de la langue française) program at the Université de Paris - Sorbonne III, Cénsier-Daubenton. MUCH cheaper, but still intensive. I stayed until level 6, the highest.

In my opinion and experience, once you reach level 3 or 4, the best way to continue a rapid education is to start working in the French culture. This would force you to go out and speak with other people besides your classes' foreign stuents.

This was a difficult journey to make, but diving in is the fastest and best way of learning. I wouldn't change my decision to come here for the world.
Now, even though my written French still needs some work, I am a professional translator and English teacher. I am highly respected by my collegues and students, who all exclaim about my grasp of the language after only three years.

In sum, AF is good for students who come sometimes just for the summer, it's a good jolt, but expensive.
The Sorbonne, DULF is cheaper and used to prepare students to take the exam for entering into college.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning French in France

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »