for those who also teach the English Language
Thread poster: Silvina Morelli
Silvina Morelli
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 23, 2004

I´m a teacher of English, as well. I´m starting a new pre-intermediate course with two adults. They do know each other, but they don´t know me.Any activity or task that has proven useful and fanny in your classes? Icebreakers? Thanks a lot for any ideas or material!!!!Silvina
silvinamorelli@datamarkets.com.ar

Direct link Reply with quote

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 08:55
French to English
+ ...
Have fun! Jun 23, 2004

www.englishjobmaze.com/bookstore/b-warm-gen-usa.htm

www.onestopenglish.com/tefl_esl_warmers/

www.eightsecrets.com/47/4/tefl-warmers.html

www.esl-images.com

I used to teach English also

(if you need more, search google for "esl icebreakers"

Mandy Williams  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
German to English
Pesky English vowels Jun 23, 2004

Silvina Morelli wrote:

I´m a teacher of English, as well. I´m starting a new pre-intermediate course with two adults. They do know each other, but they don´t know me.Any activity or task that has proven useful and fanny in your classes? Icebreakers? Thanks a lot for any ideas or material!!!!Silvina

Hi Silvina,
Can't help you out with advice for the English lessons but just wanted to say be careful with English vowels. Or was "fanny" a typo? By the way, the word means different things in British and American English...
Good luck!
MW

[Edited at 2004-06-23 14:06]

Sarah Eustace
Ireland
Local time: 18:55
Italian to English
English Jun 27, 2004

Silvina Morelli wrote:

I am sure by beign a little personal with your students by telling them a little about yourself initially this will help and then you can turn this into a game..with yes no answers from you.....like "Ask me as many questions as you like and I can only answer yes or no". This way your students are not only getting to know you but they are practicing asking and answering questions. Once you have finished this game you can then go straight to a lesson on questions and indirect questions. Then they could ask you normal questions such as "How old are you"? "Where are you from originally"? Get each student to prepare 10 questions each which cannot be the same as the other students questions......no homework for the most creative question. ENJOY!!!

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 16:55
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
"Fanny" and other words NOT to use in UK English Jun 27, 2004

MW wrote:

Hi Silvana,
Can't help you out with advice for the English lessons but just wanted to say be careful with English vowels. Or was "fanny" a typo? By the way, the word means different things in British and American English...
Good luck!
MW

[Edited at 2004-06-23 14:06]

A very useful link is: http://www.effingpot.com/

On this site, a number of American English words are listed for various use (home, slang, clothing, etc.) with the UK English explanation!

It is also a quite funny site, I think.

I use this to point out that there IS a difference between UK English and American English, and the differences DO matter!!!

Happy teaching.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

for those who also teach the English Language

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs