Mobile menu

Experienced but not trained - what chance in Germany?
Thread poster: Scott_C
Scott_C
Poland
Local time: 05:37
Polish to English
+ ...
Jul 13, 2004

Hello forum readers,

I have a year's experience as a native-speaker teacher in Warsaw, where ELT qualifications are not always required, to my good fortune! I also have a B.A. in French and German, DPSI German-English, and two-thirds of the DipTrans passed in German to English.

I am considering relocating to Germany, but I don't know if I will be employable without formal teaching qualifications. Is there a greater degree of discretion in private language schools than state schools?

Any info and tips will be much appreciated, thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:37
German to English
+ ...
Do a CELTA? Jul 13, 2004

My husband taught English in Frankfurt while we lived in Germany. He got jobs right away because he had done a CELTA course before we went. It is not a huge financial or time commitment and seems to be quite helpful. He also had one year of experience before that. That said, I am sure a lot of the teachers he worked with (in private language schools) did not have formal qualifications.

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Qualification useful but not 100% necessary Jul 13, 2004

I know of several people who teach English in Germany who have had no formal training as a teacher.

FWIW - HTH

Alison

Eva Karpouzi
Local time: 06:37
English to Greek
+ ...
TEFL Jul 14, 2004

Hi Scott,

A very good friend of mine with a BA in Linguistics did one of those full-time TEFL courses in Nottingham and it helped him find work in no time. You can attend an intensive one, they usually run for 4-6 weeks and cost roughly 1000-1500 pounds.
If you like you can send me a personal email and I could pass on his email address so you can chat to him about it, he won't mind.

Good luck with it all.
Eva

[Edited at 2004-07-14 04:15]

Scott_C
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all; Eva, I'll hold fire for now thanks (nt) Jul 14, 2004

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experienced but not trained - what chance in Germany?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs