Mobile menu

On-line tutoring. Any opinions?
Thread poster: Javier Herrera
Javier Herrera
Spanish
Sep 16, 2004

Dear all,
I've been doing one-to-one tuition for a year and a half now and am wondering if I could get more tutees by offering on-line tuition as well.
I'm clueless about it, though. Does anybody know how to get started? or, could you give me any tips you think a beginner should have?
Best regards,
Javier Herrera

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony Pratschke
Ireland
Local time: 23:39
Irish to English
+ ...
On-line language tuition Sep 17, 2004

Hello Javier and anyone else interested in this topic.

I have been tutoring English on-line for the past two months and I find it very easy and pleasant to do. I am aware of two web sites that recruit teachers, but I don't know whether they need any at the moment. You can find further details at and also

There is not a great deal technically to learn about it. I use telephone or web phone (depends upon the client) and a web site which has a chat box and whiteboard. This combination allows me to speak directly to the student and provide OHPs and other prepared visual materials.

Classes typically last 45 minutes. The students don't seem to experience any great difficulties although older adults occasionally feel nervous about their ability to cope with the technology. Generally students like it because they can have their class in their home or office at a time that suits them.

Additional software and hardware helps; I use a headphone set (microphone and earphones) and voice recognition software to speed up the process.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Tony Pratschke

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:39
English to Turkish
+ ...
The links didn't make it Sep 17, 2004

Wow, I was just going to post requesting a repost of the links (couldn't see them even after displaying the page source), but when I hit Reply with quote, there they were in the quote:

www.languagedirect.net

and also

www.Teachers-and-Friends-worldwide.com

Thank you for the information, by the way.

Aziz

xxxBrandis
Local time: 00:39
English to German
+ ...
lately I have got to know a company Sep 19, 2004

xáudar wrote:

Dear all,
I've been doing one-to-one tuition for a year and a half now and am wondering if I could get more tutees by offering on-line tuition as well.
I'm clueless about it, though. Does anybody know how to get started? or, could you give me any tips you think a beginner should have?
Best regards,
Javier Herrera
they are offering USD 25,-/ Hour, online language tutoring, or product support etc., If you are interested I shall send you the information.
Rgds,
Brandis

Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Company Sep 23, 2004

Hi Brandis,

Could you give me the details of that company. thanks

Javier Herrera
Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 29, 2004

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm sorry I took so long in answering but, among other reasons, I've been on holidays.
By the way, you may find this interesting: www.aplustutors.com, it's got a special link to on-line tutoring.

Tony Pratschke wrote:

There is not a great deal technically to learn about it. I use telephone or web phone (depends upon the client) and a web site which has a chat box and whiteboard. This combination allows me to speak directly to the student and provide OHPs and other prepared visual materials.
(...)
Additional software and hardware helps; I use a headphone set (microphone and earphones) and voice recognition software to speed up the process.

Thanks for the sites, Tony. I must admit I'm clueless about the technology needed. Would Windows Messenger be enough or is something more complicated essential? And also I'd like to know if it's essential that you build your own websites or there are any directories that host you some space for your tuition.

Brandis, yes, you let us know about that website, if you're so kind.

I'll keep on investigating about this issue and let you all know about any progress.

Regards,

Javier

Carmen Álvarez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Teachers and friends is serious at all? Nov 12, 2004

Hello,

I was also interested in teaching Spanish on line and I saw some job postings from this company, Teachers & Friends. Well, I have to say that I do not recommend anyone to apply there. Why?
1. Although it is said to be a world-wide data base, I looked for students meeting my needs and there were only 39 of them.
2. I register also as a student (I want in fact to learn Japanese) and I am told that my data is not viewable because I did not pay my subscription... but the subscriptions are supposed to be free for students! uhmmm, then I log in with my teacher account, and I try to find myself as student, and it was not there.
3. I could not either edit muy profile.
4. I try to find a way to contact them for an explanation but there is no link available, nor they say anything about themselves (not even about the learning methods!).
5. I thanked God for not being too enthusiastic in the beginning paying rightaway the 25 euros teacher fee before checking everything. The payment is trough Paypal and then if I want my money back (there are no students!) I have no way to contact them.

So maybe they are cheating us or maybe just the web is working horribly, but I think they are not serious. In this post some of you recommended it, but do you have a personal experience with them at all? Any further comment will be appreciated.

[Edited at 2004-11-12 06:38]

stromfi
English
Hi Javier! Sep 19, 2005

Have you eventually gotten into online tutoring? I would really like to hear about your experience/advice/your list of what-to-dos and what-not-to-dos since I'm playing with the idea of getting into this kind of language teaching myself, too. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Stromfi

abyd
English
Online tutoring Nov 13, 2005

I have a degree in math and I am interested in tutoring online with the use of a whiteboard and audio. Where should I start?Approx. what does it cost to use my own server?

xxxAnna Blackab  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
UK online tutoring Nov 14, 2005

Hi Javier

I noticed you're based in the UK - you should try getting in touch with learn direct - they are the UK government funded lifelong learning providers who deliver courses online. They were looking for Spanish tutors a few months ago (and advanced German teachers if that applies to anyone). I have registered with them and they sent me on an online tutoring course - free of charge.

I think they probably only take UK based tutors though.

www.learndirect.co.uk

http://www.ufi.com/home/section1/6_lts/whatdo.asp
This is the link with the job details on.

In case the links don't work - try doing a search for University for Industry (they are the body behind learn direct) and tutor search.

Good luck

Anna

Larisa Migachyov
United States
Local time: 15:39
Russian to English
I've got something like this... Mar 4, 2006

Javier Herrera wrote:

Dear all,
Best regards,
Javier Herrera

Hi Javier,

I tutor math this way: www.aristotletutors.com

Basically, the student calls me over the phone and logs on to my online whiteboard. It works pretty well, though I am not getting as many clients as I do for in-person tutoring - people are still rather dubious about this whole process. The students I do get, though, are very satisfied with the quality of the lessons they're getting.

Skype is another great way to communicate with your students - the sound quality is better than over the phone (and it's free). I'm gradually switching all my students to Skype, so I can hear them better.

I always thought that this mode of teaching would be ideally suited to language learning; this way, a native speaker living in the country in which that language is spoken could teach people the language as it's actually spoken. I'd love to find someone who could teach me Japanese like that. I'm studying it on my own now, and it's not too easy.

simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Please can you give me details of that company? Thanks Mar 13, 2007

Brandis wrote:

xáudar wrote:

Dear all,
Best regards,
Javier Herrera
they are offering USD 25,-/ Hour, online language tutoring, or product support etc., If you are interested I shall send you the information.
Rgds,
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On-line tutoring. Any opinions?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs