https://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/25022-i_am_seeking_a_good_comprehensive_english_grammar.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I am seeking a good comprehensive English grammar
Thread poster: Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Local time: 07:47
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2004

Good evening everybody

I am seeking a good comprehensive English grammar. I have an old Thompson-Martin and an "English in Use" volume by GM Spankie.

Any suggestions from my appreciated colleagues?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sabina

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-25 18:33]

Cristina Santos
Cristina Santos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
English grammar Sep 24, 2004

Hi Sabina

“Practical English Usage”, Michael Swan, Oxford University Press it’s the one I use and I think it’s quite good.

“English Grammar in Use”, Raymond Murphy, Cambridge University Press is also good.

Regards

Cristina

neilmac

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:47
German to English

sabina moscatelli wrote:
I am seeking a good comprehensive English grammar. I have an old Thompson-Martin and an "English in Use" volume by GM Spankie.

Hi Sabina, I second Cristina's recommendations. These are two excellent books. But please tell us more about your students. How old are they? Are they beginning, intermediate or advanced students, etc?

P.S. Are you looking for a grammar for your own reference or to use with your students?

Kim

[Edited at 2004-09-25 00:15]

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...

Hello Sabina,

One of the grammar books I have used for years now is "Practical English Usage" by Michael Swan [Oxford University Press]. I once bought the International Student's edition which covers all aspects of English grammar (654 pages with register) with uncountable examples, and also includes hints on American English. But, at Amazon it is relatively expensive.

For exercises, I would recommend the "English Grammar in Use" books by Raymond Murphy which do not onl
... See more
Hello Sabina,

One of the grammar books I have used for years now is "Practical English Usage" by Michael Swan [Oxford University Press]. I once bought the International Student's edition which covers all aspects of English grammar (654 pages with register) with uncountable examples, and also includes hints on American English. But, at Amazon it is relatively expensive.

For exercises, I would recommend the "English Grammar in Use" books by Raymond Murphy which do not only contain grammar but also a lot of exercises with answers.

If you are looking for a book on American English grammar, I can recommend "Errors in English and Ways to correct them" by Harry Shaw [The HarperCollins Reference Library].

Hope this helps a bit.

Michaela

[Edited at 2004-09-24 19:39]

[Edited at 2004-09-24 19:39]
Collapse

neilmac

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:47
English to Spanish
Michael Swan's “Practical English Usage” Sep 24, 2004

used to be my teaching bible; clear, concise and yet thorough. (we used to jockingly say in class "When in doubt, Swan it out").

Although there are certainly more "academic" books, this one should definitely be in your library as the initial reference.

neilmac

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Kim Sep 25, 2004

my students are 12 to 14 year old native Italian students at intermediate level, but willing to engage in an intensive study activity.
However the volume is meant to be a reference guide for me.

Thanks a lot for your kind suggestions and prompt help.

Sabina

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
English grammar Sep 25, 2004

sabina moscatelli wrote:

my students are 12 to 14 year old native Italian students at intermediate level, but willing to engage in an intensive study activity.
However the volume is meant to be a reference guide for me.

Hi Sabina, here are two excellent, authoritative grammar books for your own reference:

1. The Grammar Book, An ESL/EFL Teacher's Course by Marianne Celce-Murcia and Diane Larsen-Freeman - Heinle & Heinle Publishers, ISBN 0-8384-2850-9

http://www-writing.berkeley.edu/TESL-EJ/ej12/r7.html

2. An Introductory English Grammar by Norman C. Stageberg - Holt, Reinhart and Winston, Inc, ISBN 0-03-249381-1

http://www.heinle.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M2b&product_isbn_issn=0030183847&discipline_number=301

And here's a very good book for classroom use:

Graded Exercises in English, Robert J. Dixson
http://www.pearson.ch/pageid/34/artikel/12696PH1/PrenticeHall/0131126962/StudentBook.aspx

Cheers, Kim

Alexandra Kuzmina
Alexandra Kuzmina
English to Russian
All the mentioned below are very good Grammar books but I could offer more one for faster learning Sep 25, 2004

sabina moscatelli wrote:

Good evening everybody

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sabina

Dear Sabina

I have seen so many good Grammar books
and have made one valuable conclusion
There are books which could be used for faster learning of foreign language with Grammar and Vocabulary

Living Language series could be the best for faster learning and its include Grammar, Vocabulary and dialogs with set of tapes for home and work listening (after 1-1,5 years you could read any books in original !!!) I learned three languages by these books >> fantastic results >> RECOMMEND >>>

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Local time: 13:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
I would recommend A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (CGEL) Oct 21, 2004

By Randolph Quirk et al, which, I believe, is an ultimate resolution to most if not all grammatical issues.

sabina moscatelli wrote:

Good evening everybody

neilmac

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
More suggestions for your students Oct 24, 2004

Dear Sabina,

If you need something that your students would love, try The Grammar Lab series, by Kenna Bourke (OUP).

If you need something that would help you give essential and clear explanations to your students, try the Language Practice series by Michael Vince (Macmillan).

HTH,
Dan

Antonio Ferreira
Antonio Ferreira
Brazil
Local time: 02:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
English grammar Dec 14, 2004

Ciao Sabina,

Come estai?

Guess some people have mentioned this grammar before;

A practical English Grammar - Oxford University Press
A Practical English Usage - Oxford University Press
Grammar Spectrum 1,2 and 3 - Oxford University Press
Exploring grammar in context - Cambridge Unioversity Press
How English works - Oxford University Press

Hope I helped you....
Sorry, time to eat my fetuccini!!!!!

Anton
... See more
Ciao Sabina,

Come estai?

Guess some people have mentioned this grammar before;

A practical English Grammar - Oxford University Press
A Practical English Usage - Oxford University Press
Grammar Spectrum 1,2 and 3 - Oxford University Press
Exploring grammar in context - Cambridge Unioversity Press
How English works - Oxford University Press

Hope I helped you....
Sorry, time to eat my fetuccini!!!!!

Antonio Ferreira (Brazil)
Collapse

Ana Boadla
Ana Boadla
English to Spanish
+ ...
With no doubt...Quirk!!! Dec 19, 2004

[quote]Last Hermit wrote:

By Randolph Quirk et al, which, I believe, is an ultimate resolution to most if not all grammatical issues.

I absolutely agree with Las Hermit. When trouble in English comes, I usually surf around the Internet, look up in various grammar books, but at last...I end with "my Bible" : QUIRK. I've been an English teacher for 13 years and it has always come with me almost everywhere.( I taught in a Secondary school in Spain). Good luck!!

giloux
giloux
English to French
Is the QUIRK grammar still "in print" ? Jan 24, 2006

[quote]Ana Laura wrote:

Last Hermit wrote:

I absolutely agree with Las Hermit. When trouble in English comes, I usually surf around the Internet, look up in various grammar books, but at last...I end with "my Bible" : QUIRK. I've been an English teacher for 13 years and it has always come with me almost everywhere.( I taught in a Secondary school in Spain). Good luck!!

I've been desperately looking for this QUIRK grammar and found NOTHING as brand-new. However, AMAZON UK web site displays a used one (in acceptable condition as they quote) for about 20 sterling pounds. I'm interested by a brand-new QUIRK grammar or a second hand one in pristine condition. The publishing house is (or was)LONGMAN. Nobody at LONGMAN seems to know about it. I know two editions: 1972 and 1980. I really want to purchase this grammar. Is there anybody on this forum who knows how to get it ? Where ? ISBN # ? Your clues are welcomed!

[Edited at 2006-01-24 20:30]

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
Quirk Jan 24, 2006

Will this information help?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0582517346/qid=1138134374/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-7488685-1643808?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

giloux
giloux
English to French
AT LAST !!! Jan 24, 2006

Thank you so much sir moderator! I have already ordered it as well as the Cambridge one. There is a COMBO deal on AMAZON! The two grammars for $266US!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am seeking a good comprehensive English grammar

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »