English teacher rates in France
Thread poster: N.M. Eklund

N.M. Eklund  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2004

Normally I know not to ask this sort of question, but I need some form of reference to set my rates per hour for teaching english in companies.
I just get the feeling that my rates are too low, (I probably get this feeling because everybody jumps to agree to my price). I currently teach in two different companies, one with 10 students separated in two groups (classes), the other just 2 students for two hours twice a month.

I ask this question because I want to be fair with my co-teachers in this market. In the same way I NEVER agree to a cheap translation, no matter how much I need the money.

All I'm asking for is a bit of direction, I love teaching and translating, but negotiating has never been my forté.

The mediator can choose to edit this, I'd understand. I currently charge by the hour, 30 euros.
Should I add a supplement for number of students? Also, I don't pay for the supplies, copies, etc.

Thank you for any advice you have to offer.
Merci d'avance!

Direct link Reply with quote
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Go with what you can get Oct 11, 2004

I also teach on occasion. I charge 33% more than you do though (in Germany), and if everybody's jumping at your offers then I would say you should simply ask for more. Just mention your price to get things moving; if things don't move, then drop a line like "List prices are negotiable, of course..." Just be sure not to go below your minimum price and you won't go far wrong.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
If a private arrangement... Oct 11, 2004

...not only would I take into account the hourly rate, but also:

number of students per class
travelling & other time
possibility of cancellations due to holidays and holiday periods

More students -> higher overall rate, lower rate per student

Allow for travelling and also prep & homework correction (more students, more prep and correction)

Finally, if it's a company class I would work out a rate for the academic year, with an arrangement about short-notice cancellations (unlikely if teh class is more than 3 or 4). You should also get out a calendar and see how many holidays will interrupt your earnings flow, and take that into account.

Gena Lumbroso
French to English
+ ...
Look into what language schools in your area are charging Oct 11, 2004

I used to teach English in France but I can't remember what I made. I worked through a school that provided English lessons to businesses. While the above 2 answers are very good, you could additionally call a couple language schools in your area and ask them how much their classes are. That will give you an idea. You can probably charge a little less since you don't have their overhead. You might even consider wanting to work at one, because it takes care of the organizational side of things and as Ailish pointed out - you'll need to figure in transportation time and costs as well. Lastly are you paying taxes on top of this? Or have you asked for 30 euros net? You'll need to take that into consideration as well.

[Edited at 2004-10-11 21:30]

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
+ ...
English teaching rates Oct 11, 2004

Yes, I agree with idea of calling (or simply look up on internet) several language schools in your area and get rates. I also used to teach English courses (individual and groups) in businesses through a language school in Paris 10 years ago, so those old rates wouldn't help much today.

My salary was based on a ratio of 30% course delivery time vs 70% preparation time. That was a stardard contract and most of the teachers had groups of up to approx 15 students.

Also check out the France-USA Contacts (FUSAC) magazine which is a great reference for want ads, including teaching ads. It will give you a good idea of the rates people charge. ( ) It's free and available in lots of Paris shops, restaurants, or also at their publications office. It is published every 2 weeks if I recall.

Jeff Allen

Gena Lumbroso wrote:
I used to teach English in France but I can't remember what I made. I worked through a school that provided English lessons to businesses.

[Edited at 2004-10-12 12:27]

[Edited at 2004-12-29 13:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English teacher rates in France

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs