Mobile menu

Private language tutoring in the US
Thread poster: xxxsonja29
xxxsonja29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2005

Hello all,

I would be very grateful for any information and tips re: being a private language tutor in the US (IL). Any sine-qua-non's that I should bear in mind? Any faux pas that would be inexcusable to commit?

For example:

Is there a preferred method of payment (cash? check?) when dealing with private students? What about payment terms: per session/weekly/monthly? (When I taught EFL in Europe, it was perfectly acceptable for the client to pay me in cash after each session. I am far from endorsing "money-under-the-table" here, earnings were reported to the tax authorities, it is just that no intervening paperwork was deemed necessary.)

Also, should I submit an invoice, as in translation? Provide some special receipt? I would really like to do this right!

TIA for your wisdom and assistance!

Sonja

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 15:53
German to English
Depends upon the customer Aug 23, 2005

I've found it easiest to submit a simple invoice at the end of each month. In some instances companies are paying for FL (or ESL/EFL) instruction and require an invoice so that the employee can be reimbursed. Of course, some people are unreliable, so you might not want to wait a month for payment.

You should also set some policy about cancellations. I normally don't charge a fee if the pupil gives me advance notice of a cancellation, but I do charge if he/she doesn't bother to let me know until the last minute (waived for emergencies: accidents do happen!).

craigs
Local time: 15:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cash is fine Aug 23, 2005

sonja29 wrote:
When I taught EFL in Europe, it was perfectly acceptable for the client to pay me in cash after each session.

That's exactly how I did business with my tutor in the past. As far as I've seen, it's whatever you work out with each individual. In small amounts and on a private basis, I don't think paying in cash is any burden. This is assuming that you're not acting for a business or corporation--can't help you there.

Good luck.

xxxsonja29
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 24, 2005

Thank you, Kevin, for your reply and useful tips, esp. on the cancellation policy.

I would feel comfortable with a monthly invoice to a company, but would be hesitant to wait that long with individual new clients. You never know... A weekly invoice might be more appropriate in that case.

Again, many thanks!

xxxsonja29
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Aug 24, 2005

craigs wrote:

That's exactly how I did business with my tutor in the past. As far as I've seen, it's whatever you work out with each individual. In small amounts and on a private basis, I don't think paying in cash is any burden. This is assuming that you're not acting for a business or corporation--can't help you there.

Good luck.

Thank you, craigs. I was not sure if cash were an acceptable practice when tutoring individuals. Thanks for the reassurance and your good wishes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Private language tutoring in the US

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs