Learning Bulgarian: best resources?
Thread poster: Lucy Spring
Lucy Spring
Lucy Spring
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2006

We are looking to purchase a ski property in Bulgaria. From the curt responses I have had to an English post on a Bulgarian ski board when I asked for restaurant recommendations, I get the feeling that we are not likely to be terribly warmly received unless we make considerably more of an effort to speak the native language than is tolerated of the English in many European countries.

With that in mind (and somewhere in amongst all my other translation assignments!) I am hoping to st
... See more
We are looking to purchase a ski property in Bulgaria. From the curt responses I have had to an English post on a Bulgarian ski board when I asked for restaurant recommendations, I get the feeling that we are not likely to be terribly warmly received unless we make considerably more of an effort to speak the native language than is tolerated of the English in many European countries.

With that in mind (and somewhere in amongst all my other translation assignments!) I am hoping to start learning the language, and would appreciate any tips and advice on where to start. I have found one site: easybulgarian.com, and wondered if this would be one that others would recommend?

Many thanks.
Collapse

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:15
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
CD Rom Jan 16, 2006

May be you will be interested in this offer:

http://koralsoft.com/our_products.php?lang=en&g=34&p=25&id=159

If you like it, may be I can help you to get it (contact me, if if you want to help you).

Best regards,

Misho

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Another option for studying English Jan 17, 2006

Please consider this one too:

http://www.book-bg.com/details.php?id=17925

Bulgarian for English Speaking Learners (Áúëãàðñêè åçèê - ñàìîó÷èòåë â äèàëîçè)

Author: Krasimira Kandeva, Violina Tsvetkova
Publishing House: Gramma
Issued on: 08.11.2005
Pages: 384
Size: 13õ20 cm.
Cover: paperback
... See more
Please consider this one too:

http://www.book-bg.com/details.php?id=17925

Bulgarian for English Speaking Learners (Áúëãàðñêè åçèê - ñàìîó÷èòåë â äèàëîçè)

Author: Krasimira Kandeva, Violina Tsvetkova
Publishing House: Gramma
Issued on: 08.11.2005
Pages: 384
Size: 13õ20 cm.
Cover: paperback
Price: 15.00 BGN
Discount: 10 %
You save: 1.50 BGN
End price: 13.50 BGN

BULGARIAN for English Speakers is a brand new self-study book specially designed to meet the needs of anybody intending to learn Bulgarian well in a short time. Whoever you are - a student, a businessperson or a visitor to the country, this book is for you.

BULGARIAN for English Speakers contains all the knowledge that you need, emphasizing on real-world tasks. The book includes many dialogues and other texts specially created to help you speak and be understood. It develops your vocabulary systematically and also covers all the required grammar skills.

[Edited at 2006-01-17 14:58]
Collapse

iwa567
iwa567
Spanish to Bulgarian
[url="www.easybulgarian.com"]EasyBulgarian.com[/url] Feb 19, 2006

Hi Lucy,
a friend of mine has been using the site you mentioned www.Easybulgarian.com for about a month now and says it's good.

Lucy Simpson wrote:

With that in mind (and somewhere in amongst all my other translation assignments!) I am hoping to start learning the language, and would appreciate any tips and advice on where to start. I have found one site: easybulgarian.com, and wondered if this would be one that others would recommend?

Many thanks.

Lucy Spring
Lucy Spring
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progress Feb 20, 2006

Thank you to everyone for your feedback.

I plumped for Teach Yourself Bulgarian (cassette & book), which I got hold of through Grant & Cutler. I think it's very well set-out and I feel I'm making good progress; my only gripe is that I would like to hear more of the spoken word, hence my interest in easybulgarian.com.

I haven't got the time to devote to online lessons at the moment (given the cost involved), but with that recommendation, I may well sign up once I've prog
... See more

I plumped for Teach Yourself Bulgarian (cassette & book), which I got hold of through Grant & Cutler. I think it's very well set-out and I feel I'm making good progress; my only gripe is that I would like to hear more of the spoken word, hence my interest in easybulgarian.com.

I haven't got the time to devote to online lessons at the moment (given the cost involved), but with that recommendation, I may well sign up once I've progressed a bit further with my studies.

I'm visiting Bulgarian ski forums (as they deal with topics within a narrow sphere, the language is repetitive enough for me to recognise) and occasionally listening to online Bulgarian news programmes.
Collapse

mastylo
mastylo
Bulgaria
Local time: 02:15
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Bulgarian for foreigners - online instruction May 9, 2006

Lucy Simpson wrote:

I haven't got the time to devote to online lessons at the moment (given the cost involved), but with that recommendation, I may well sign up once I've progressed a bit further with my studies.

I'm visiting Bulgarian ski forums (as they deal with topics within a narrow sphere, the language is repetitive enough for me to recognise) and occasionally listening to online Bulgarian news programmes.

Hi Lucy!
If you still need to learn Bulgarian, please visit this link: http://www.mastylo.net/#foreigners_en
Best wishes,
Boris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning Bulgarian: best resources?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »