Mobile menu

learning Portuguese
Thread poster: MariusV

MariusV  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jul 2, 2006

I have decided to learn Portuguese. Could anyone give me a piece of advice of the best schools in Portugal for the beginner level where Portuguese is taught in English? In terms of quality of the studies (I just do not want to "have a good time" - I want to learn and to learn on an intensive schedule). How much a good course for some 2-3 months may cost? Just have no idea

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
French to Portuguese
+ ...
learning portuguese Jul 3, 2006

Hi Maurius,

I don't think you'll find Portuguese taught in English here in Portugal.

Actually, the best way to learn a language (in this case the Portuguese) is to learn it in the original.

Here in Portugal we've got schools that teach "Portuguese for foreigners".

I can't really tell you which is the best school, but "Alliance Française" and "Cambridge School", for instance, also provide courses of Portuguese for foreign learners.

Here you've got a link with some of the school that have that kind of courses:

You can also make a search of schools by googling "português para estrangeiros" (portuguese for foreigners) and "escolas de línguas" (language schools).

Let me know if you still have any doubt and I'll be glad to help you out.

Best regards,

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
English to Turkish
Moved the topic... Jul 3, 2006

... to "Teaching Languages" forum.

Local time: 07:53
Portuguese to English
Learn Portugues On-line Jul 15, 2007

Hi Maurius,

Depending on your case, you would try learn on-line using Skype/MSN. I´ve tried this to learn English, and it worked very well...
(And, It´s less expensive)

Check this out:

Jessie Linardi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
All in Portuguese! :) Aug 14, 2007

I think you'll end up learning more of the language if the class is actually conducted in Portuguese from the beginning, even if you don't know a word of it. Plus, the people in your class may all be from different backgrounds, sharing no common language other than the one being taught.

There are quite a few language schools in Portugal. I went to one in Lisbon called PortLingua for a month and my comprehension and fluency sky-rocketed!

[Edited at 2007-08-14 23:23]

Maria Proenca  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Summer courses at the university Aug 26, 2007

Here's a link for a good summer course in Lisbon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

learning Portuguese

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs