Mobile menu

Things to avoid when making compositions
Thread poster: Pablo Fiumara
Pablo Fiumara
Local time: 23:59
English to Spanish
Jan 23, 2007

Hi!

What are the things (words, verb tenses, adverbs, etc) I should avoid when making compositions?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:59
German to English
False friends Jan 23, 2007

Cache wrote:

What are the things (words, verb tenses, adverbs, etc) I should avoid when making compositions?

We usually speak of "writing" compositions - not making them. It's really impossible to say what words, verb tenses, adverbs you should avoid when writing English. You just have to use them correctly.

Since your native language is Spanish, I would start by finding typical mistakes made by Spanish speakers in English. Here's a good list of "false friends":

http://www.miguelmllop.com/glos/index.php

Mexico
German to English
una duda - doubt or question? Jan 23, 2007

Watch out for duda in Spanish:

jacinta
23rd August 2004, 10:49 PM
It is common to say "Tengo una duda" in Spanish, so I think some people just translate it literally to English. It is not said in English "I have a doubt" when we have trouble with a vocab/grammar point but is common in Spanish.

jacinta
24th August 2004, 02:06 AM
"I have a doubt" is unusual in spoken English. It would be "I have a question". It is not wrong but not usual.
"I have just two questions about the point at issue." So, when translating "Tengo una duda", it would be "I have a question".

http://forum.wordreference.com/archive/index.php/t-894.html

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:59
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Handy handbooks Jan 23, 2007

Years ago I bought a couple of very handy little paperback books called "Beyond the Dictionary in French" and "Beyond the Dictionary in Spanish", full of idiomatic expressions in both languages and how they should, and should not, be translated into English.
They were by Michel and Eleanor Levieux and A. Bryson Gerrard and José de Heras Heras, respectively, and were published by Cassell.
I've no idea whether they're still in print, but they were a very good buy. Perhaps there's something similar on the market now.
Best wishes,
Jenny Forbes.

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 04:59
Catalan to English
+ ...
Beyond the dictionary in Spanish Jan 24, 2007

Thanks Jenny,

Flash from the past. Could be very useful, Cache.

I remember virtually memorising this book by Gerrard in the mid-seventies.

Excellent for those who want to learn Spanish/English and for those who think they already know them.

Andy

Pablo Fiumara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
What do you think about this? Jan 24, 2007

I was told I have to avoid all this:

Avoid contractions, colloquial forms, repetition of forms (Idid this, then I did that. Next I did the other). Don't start every single sentence with a connector. Avoid one-sentence paragraphs- either an idea should be developed, or it should added elsewhere. I hate direct questions- you're supposed to be answering them, and I find it annoying when people start on the 'have you ever thought...' stuff. Exclamations marks are the kiss of death in a composition for me- someone once said that they were like laughing at your own jokes- your reader shouldn't need a guide to emphasis if it's well-written.

Do you agree? Would you like to add some thing more?

Thanks!

Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:59
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
RUN....ON. Jan 24, 2007

Try avoiding run ^.^.^.^.^.^….. on sentences.

Pablo Fiumara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
that in run-on sentences Jan 24, 2007

Can be the word that connect two sentences? I think so

Mexico
German to English
Run-on sentences and comma splices Jan 24, 2007

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/runons.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Things to avoid when making compositions

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs