Teaching English on-line
Thread poster: simona dachille
simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:42
Italian to English
Mar 13, 2007

I have been approached by Deltalangue and would like to know if anyone has worked for them. Also, I am interested in teaching English on-line and would appreciate any leads. Thanks

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:42
Italian to English
Blue Board Mar 13, 2007

You should use the Blue Board to check this kind of information about a specific outsourcer.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Teaching English online Mar 13, 2007

I also had info from the same agency, about teaching English online, many months ago. I decided not to apply for several reasons. I suggest that you look carefully at their materials and information about the course organisation and recruitment. I had been prepared to work for the very low pay offered, if this was just for a set up period during which they were establishing themselves. I would, after all. have been learning new skills as a teacher of English online. However, I think that it... See more
I also had info from the same agency, about teaching English online, many months ago. I decided not to apply for several reasons. I suggest that you look carefully at their materials and information about the course organisation and recruitment. I had been prepared to work for the very low pay offered, if this was just for a set up period during which they were establishing themselves. I would, after all. have been learning new skills as a teacher of English online. However, I think that it is important for one's reputation to carefully select any organisation that one would associate oneself with.

I would not work for any organisation unless I was satisfied regarding their level of professionalism, not to mention the standard of English in their recruitment pack.

The idea of teaching English online, using Skype etc. seems an excellent idea. It makes learning available to students who would not be able to get to classes, either because of geographical isolation, limitations of time, being housebound for reasons of disability or personal safety...
Collapse

Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:42
Spanish to English
I use Skype to teach English online Mar 14, 2007

While I don't have any experience with the agency mentioned, I have taught intermediate and advanced students over Skype. It works very well, but it might be frustrating for lower level students and/or those who feel uncomfortable with technology. The camera helps a lot.

Previously, I had taught the same students in person, which probably helped with the transition to online classes.

Elliot

code
code
Germany
Italian
+ ...
online payment method? Sep 10, 2010

Elliot Everett wrote:

While I don't have any experience with the agency mentioned, I have taught intermediate and advanced students over Skype. It works very well, but it might be frustrating for lower level students and/or those who feel uncomfortable with technology. The camera helps a lot.

Previously, I had taught the same students in person, which probably helped with the transition to online classes.

Elliot

Can I ask you how you practically get payment from your online learners?
I'm quite mistrustful of online payment procedures... Do you get payment before or after your lesson and if so, how?

Eleonora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teaching English on-line

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »