Thread poster: lingomania
lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 15:05
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Important enough Apr 26, 2007

Balasubramaniam wrote:

I have met quite a few Americans - Patels, Sivaramakrishans, Chatterjees and Raos.

They speaking various tongues - Hindi, Gujarati, Tamil, Bengali and Telugu.

America (I mean both the first nation and Canada) are fast becoming multilingual, multicultural nations like India and very soon English (American or otherwise) will become just one of the languages spoken there.

So why spoil our sleep for such trivial issues as whether American is English or some other language?

Hello. I welcome all languges of course and I wish I could speak many more. The query I proposed IS important in that it can be related to ALL languages and situations out there.

Rob

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:05
English to French
+ ...
Why discuss this? Apr 27, 2007

Simply because, it seems, there is a market for it. For one, I don't translate into British English, but I do to Canadian and American (which are so close to each other, it's really just a question of slang and accent). I don't feel comfortable with British English and I'd rather not ruin anything, even though I perfectly understand all of Jenny's posts. There must be a reason...

Hey, people, can we now discuss the difference between French French and Quebec French? I need to figure
... See more
Simply because, it seems, there is a market for it. For one, I don't translate into British English, but I do to Canadian and American (which are so close to each other, it's really just a question of slang and accent). I don't feel comfortable with British English and I'd rather not ruin anything, even though I perfectly understand all of Jenny's posts. There must be a reason...

Hey, people, can we now discuss the difference between French French and Quebec French? I need to figure it out...

Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 15:05
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Curious now Apr 29, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Hey, people, can we now discuss the difference between French French and Quebec French? I need to figure it out...

I'm curious about knowing the difference between the two now.

katsy
katsy
Local time: 07:05
English to French
+ ...
Exactly! May 4, 2007

lingomania wrote:

I think the confusion mentioned above arises from the fact that many "would-be" students REALLY believe that American English (including Canada of course!) and UK English are TWO HIGHLY DISTINCT languages.....like say Italian and Spanish!!!! This is where the uninformed media, bad educators, etc. come into it! Trisha and Sheema (respectively from Texas and a town in Canada) tell me that TRUE, the teaching of grammar in U.S. schools is NOT that thorough, but for heaven's sake, a student in England, a student in the USA and a student in Australia LEARN THE SAME grammar in their respective schools!!

Well lingomania, this is really it! I couldn't agree more! The basic grammar is exactly the same - there are differences, true , but nothing that you have to deal with in the beginning stages (and I'm talking with over 30 years' teaching experience here). So learning American/UK English as something specific only needs to be dealt with at a higher level. My experience here in France indicates that learners do not have that much difficulty with the different accents (except maybe pronunciations of words like 'simultaneously', fragile' etc).
Differentiating the two forms of English (in teaching) , I would say, is only really important if the learner has a really specific target like communicating exclusively with US or GB speakers, or in technical areas where vocabulary is different from one country to the other.
En somme, presque un faux débat!!

[Edited at 2007-05-04 20:31]

Mitch Hammarstrom
Mitch Hammarstrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:05
English to Swedish
+ ...
Americans May 10, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Hey, Bishan, do you know that America is not a country but a continent?

In fact, I am in Canada and hence am also American. Oh, and I am also in America, just like "Americans" are - in fact, so are Mexicans, Peruvians and Costa Ricans... I can't stand it when Mr. Bush goes on TV to say stuff like "Americans are addicted to oil". Speak for yourself, Mr. President! I use maybe about 50 litres of oil per year - can you call that an addiction?

I just had to let off some steam, and you opened the door.

[Edited at 2007-04-25 06:21]

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. We are citizens of the United States of America and are therefore Americans. You may be North Americans, but you are certainly not Americans. Mexicans may be North Americans, but there are not Americans either.
We are the only Americans.

Dictionary.com - First definition:

1. of or pertaining to the United States of America or its inhabitants: an American citizen.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

American English

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »