https://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/71300-child_learning_spanish.html

child learning Spanish
Thread poster: IspkEng
IspkEng
IspkEng
Local time: 13:13
English
Apr 23, 2007

Hi,

If an English speaking child (6 years old) wants to learn Spanish, will he learn faster watching a Spanish cartoon with 1. no subtitles 2. English subtitles or 3. Spanish subtitles

He is a good English reader.

LilianaV (X)
LilianaV (X)
Local time: 03:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
English subtitles might work best if the child can read well in this language Apr 24, 2007

Good evening:

I faced this dilemma two years ago with my son. We moved to a Spanish-speaking country (his native language is English). He had a very hard time with Spanish for approximately 2 months; then he made great progress and now is fluent in both languages.

Besides school and tutoring, television helped him. Listening to the shows in Spanish while being able to read the English subtitles helped him understand what the characters were saying. Also, it familiar
... See more
Good evening:

I faced this dilemma two years ago with my son. We moved to a Spanish-speaking country (his native language is English). He had a very hard time with Spanish for approximately 2 months; then he made great progress and now is fluent in both languages.

Besides school and tutoring, television helped him. Listening to the shows in Spanish while being able to read the English subtitles helped him understand what the characters were saying. Also, it familiarized him with Spanish phonetics. I think it helped him learn the language faster.
Collapse

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:43
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I he reads well... Apr 24, 2007

... subtitles will help him "catch" what the ear is still unable to identify in the context. But it is important that he is able to read well enough so that reading does not distract from listening.

Best luck!

Ruth @ MW

Maryse Trevithick
Maryse Trevithick  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:43
English to Arabic
+ ...
spanish cartoons Apr 24, 2007

Hi there,

I was faced with the same situation and found that watching Spanish cartoons helped a lot. Personally, I don't think that subtitles are very necessary in this case... It might help if you sit with him on a couple and make sure he's getting the idea ( that if you speak Spanish.

After two years now my son is giving me lessons in Spanish...
See more
Hi there,

I was faced with the same situation and found that watching Spanish cartoons helped a lot. Personally, I don't think that subtitles are very necessary in this case... It might help if you sit with him on a couple and make sure he's getting the idea ( that if you speak Spanish.

After two years now my son is giving me lessons in Spanish

Good luck
M.
Collapse

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:43
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
subtitles not always helpful Apr 24, 2007

I'd suggest the same- maybe avoiding the subtitles if possible. You don't want the language acquisition to be based on "X means Y", but rather on a more intuitive, context based understanding of new words. The subtitles could actually be a block to learning without always translating (which is never a great idea, as any language teacher will tell you).

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 02:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Without subtitles May 6, 2007

From my experience as an English teacher at university level, I have noticed that students do not make a lot of progress when reading subtitles in Spanish. They concentrate in reading and forget about paying attention to what is said.

I think it is better that people concentrate on listening the new language and try to match what they hear and see (the setting, actor's gestures, movements, even lip-reading) to understand the general idea. At first, they only grab a very general idea
... See more
From my experience as an English teacher at university level, I have noticed that students do not make a lot of progress when reading subtitles in Spanish. They concentrate in reading and forget about paying attention to what is said.

I think it is better that people concentrate on listening the new language and try to match what they hear and see (the setting, actor's gestures, movements, even lip-reading) to understand the general idea. At first, they only grab a very general idea but each time they understand better what happens in the cartoon, program, whatever it is.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

child learning Spanish

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »