Young Learners/PET/KET/FCE examiners/teachers
Thread poster: lingomania
lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 23:51
Italian to English
May 13, 2007

I'm just checking to see if there are any YL/PET/KET/FCE examiners and /or teachers out there and what you think of this job.

Rob

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 22:51
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
YLE OETC May 14, 2007

Hi Rob,
I'm an OETC (Oral Examiner Trainer & Coordinator) for Young Learners here in Japan. The job itself isn't full time of course - unless you work directly for Cambridge in the UK there are not that many full time employees around the world. However, the support system is excellent as is the training and coordination. Even as a trainer I have to be evaluated and coordinated once a year to make sure that exams and training are standardized around the world. That assessment continues on
... See more
Hi Rob,
I'm an OETC (Oral Examiner Trainer & Coordinator) for Young Learners here in Japan. The job itself isn't full time of course - unless you work directly for Cambridge in the UK there are not that many full time employees around the world. However, the support system is excellent as is the training and coordination. Even as a trainer I have to be evaluated and coordinated once a year to make sure that exams and training are standardized around the world. That assessment continues on up the hierarchy.
As for the exams themselves, students do get a sense of genuine accomplishment, and for the kids there is not so much pressure as the grading is done on a "shield system" without the dreaded "Pass" or "Fail". But it i clear enough to allow teachers to see what areas need to be improved.
Just a quick reply, if you need any specific information, feel free to ask!
All the best,
Owen
Collapse

Marcela Mestre
Marcela Mestre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:51
English to Spanish
FCE teacher May 15, 2007

Hi,
I love teaching! I graducated as a T.E.F.L. in 1992 and as a Translator in 1994.
I have been training students for UCLES FCE since 1997.
Feel free to contact me via my proz e-mail.
Best.

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 23:51
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 22, 2007

Hello and thank you both for replying. As a translator and interpreter. I must say that examining at Cambridge levels is a good part-time activity. It is a bit stressful at times though especially in Italy where the sessions are scheduled at 1:30pm in public schools and things like that. I've been examining for nearly 2 years now. Thank you for offering your information and help.

Robert.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Young Learners/PET/KET/FCE examiners/teachers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »