Mobile menu

Bengali Punjabi Chinese Urdu Arabic speakers speaking English
Thread poster: xxxAnna Blackab
xxxAnna Blackab  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
German to English
+ ...
May 16, 2007

I am developing some training for public sector organisations to help them communicate better with people whose first language is not English.

For the purposes of the course, I would be interested to know if there are any common mistakes that native Bengali/Punjabi/Urdu/Chinese/Arabic speakers make when they are speaking English or any words/phrases/grammatical constructions that they have difficulty with. An example from another language would be Russian where there is no word for ‘the’ consequently Russian speakers of English often miss out the word ‘the’ when speaking in English. Can you think of any examples of mistakes speakers of these languages might make?

Any response would be gratefully appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TESOL discussion groups? May 16, 2007

I would look up a few TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) groups and join their forums/discussion groups - I bet a lot of this information is out there already. They may be able to point you to other resources.

Salam Alrawi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
( P ) and ( B ) May 16, 2007

Dear sister,

One of the common mistakes with arabic native speaking english is those 2 letters ( P ) and ( B ) , because there is only one sound in arabic which is equal to ( B ) , so this is why sometimes English natives don't recognize the word that an arabic say because the arabic may pronounce ( P ) as ( B ) !!),

This is what came to my mind for the moment, when I remember another thing I will keep you update,

Thank you very much,
Best regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bengali Punjabi Chinese Urdu Arabic speakers speaking English

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs