Mobile menu

Learning foreign language
Thread poster: Adammyang
Jun 21, 2007

A second foreign language is becoming more and more important for us in our daily life and work. So I want to learn another foreign language to improve myself. But there are so many online courses and schools that I don't know which to choose the best one is. I have only found some related sites, estudiar italiano en Italia , scuola lingua straniera and sprachen studieren . I wonder if you could give me some other suggestion or recommendation. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
First of all: decide what use you would give it! Jun 21, 2007

Dear Adammyang,

Your question is quite actual - yet too wide to be summarized in a few words.

Indeed, to have a second foreign language is really important. But what are you really thinking about?
If you think about speaking, communicating, maybe writing business letters - OK, that's one point.
But if you are thinking about, say, upper education, then the choices vary strikingly according to the syllabus you are thinking about.

And then, another important point: your opportunities to practise the language. It's not the same to learn French or Spanish, of which it's relatively easy to find native speakers, than to learn, say, Japanese or Arabic (unless those languages do have native speakers in your area...) From my personal experience, this is THE decisive point: a language might be beautiful, sweet, likable... but if you don't have anybody to talk with, then you'll quickly lose it.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
BBC? Jun 21, 2007

Fabio's points are really good to think about.

As for the decision about which language, the BBC has some nice language-learning pages you could peruse:

Chinese to English
man from china Jun 27, 2007

I Want to know how long we can master a foreign langue(including listening speaking and writing)

Local time: 17:58
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
re: man from china Aug 1, 2007

ren_china wrote:

I Want to know how long we can master a foreign langue(including listening speaking and writing)

I think it depends on the level of the language you want to achieve. I can say that it takes about a year for Lithuanian students to cover the elementary level of the language. But it all depends on the work they do outside the class: practice, read, watch films, etc.

Khaldun Al-Qaisi  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 18:58
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
no definite time to master a language Oct 9, 2007

There is no definite period to master a foreign language, it depends on the learner's abilities and reception.

It also depends on the difficulty of the language in study. The language would be easy to learn if the learning tools are available.

English to Vietnamese
+ ...
BBC May 12, 2008

Thanks for the recommendation, Daina. I have been looking for online resources to learn French.

Here's another site for anyone who's interested. My friend did the recordings

alz  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:58
English to Croatian
+ ...
a never ending story Jul 24, 2008

ren_china wrote:

Learning a language is a never ending story. You can always learn more.
This is the beauty of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning foreign language

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs