https://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/86066-need_help_for_communicating_with_chinese_pupil.html

Need help for communicating with Chinese pupil
Thread poster: Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

In my husband's school (here in Italy) there is a new boy (15-16) just arrived from China who speaks only Mandarin Chinese. Until the boy manages to pick up some basic Italian the staff are at their wits' end and wonder if there is any reasonably reliable on-line translator from English to Chinese.
Any suggestions would be most welcome!

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
babelfish Oct 9, 2007

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

They offer "chinese simple" and "chinese traditional"

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, I know that one Oct 9, 2007

There is also Dictionary.com.
But seeing the quality of their translations into French and Italian....
Still, it might be sufficient just to communicate with the kid!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Pictogram Oct 9, 2007

How's about using pictographs?

I don't know what's available in Italy, but in the Netherlands, there are several systems that are used in educational environments (mostly for special care pupils). If you Google 'pictograph education' or something like that (preferably in Italian, in your case, but I don't speak Italian), I'm sure you'll come across useful stuff.

This has the added benefit of not having to
... See more
How's about using pictographs?

I don't know what's available in Italy, but in the Netherlands, there are several systems that are used in educational environments (mostly for special care pupils). If you Google 'pictograph education' or something like that (preferably in Italian, in your case, but I don't speak Italian), I'm sure you'll come across useful stuff.

This has the added benefit of not having to use Chinese; you can teach him the Italian words right away. Immersion, I think it's called, when you force him to deal with every day life in Italian only.

Poor kid, doesn't he get lonely when he's got nobody to actually talk to? I feel sorry for him.
Collapse

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What a strange system Oct 9, 2007

Is there no language training for this poor guy apart from regular school?

Maybe you have some other youths with a little Mandarin knowledge at your school who can help out? Or maybe some older person living in your city or village, who has the time, could help as a mentor/tutor on a volunteer basis?

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
I agree with pictographs Oct 9, 2007

Hi,

When I first read your question I thought of pictographs myself immediatly. When teaching German for people I did not share any language with (I remember a student from Korea) I used to use pictograms. You can do quite a lot with them.

For the poor boy it can´t be usefull to try to learn maths or anything else at school right now, he has to get the language first and it´s best not to go via his own language but to give him the Italian right away. But even if he g
... See more
Hi,

When I first read your question I thought of pictographs myself immediatly. When teaching German for people I did not share any language with (I remember a student from Korea) I used to use pictograms. You can do quite a lot with them.

For the poor boy it can´t be usefull to try to learn maths or anything else at school right now, he has to get the language first and it´s best not to go via his own language but to give him the Italian right away. But even if he gets an interpreter pictographs might be a good idea for easy everyday conversation so the interpreter could be used for emergencies.

God luck to your husband.

Kind regards
Sylvia
Collapse

.O.
.O.
Maybe I can help Oct 9, 2007

Alexandra,
I live in Treviso (relatively nearby?). If you contact me through my profile, we could exchange phone numbers and possibly meet to prepare specific material to help this boy start communicating (e.g. a list of useful sentences, etc.).
I also have some books for teaching Italian to Chinese speakers.
Kind regards,
Oriana

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for suggestions Oct 9, 2007

Thanks to all for your input. I don't know all the details of the situation myself. My husband asked me if I knew anyone who could help and of course I came to the forum!
I'll pass on all your suggestions, including Oriana's offer.

judy99
judy99
German to Chinese
+ ...
yes there is. Oct 11, 2007

try this website:
http://www.adsotrans.com/
select "advanced" and then you can enter chinese characters and let the tool translate into English, or give pinyin-connotation
Judy99

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

In my husband's school (here in Italy) there is a new boy (15-16) just arrived from China who speaks only Mandarin Chinese. Until the boy manages to pick up some basic Italian the staff are at their wits' end and wonder if there is any reasonably reliable on-line translator from English to Chinese.
Any suggestions would be most welcome!

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 02:04
Italian to English
Keep him involved Oct 18, 2007

Apart from online dictionaries, books, etc., the student should be taken to lunch breaks, cinema, etc. so that he can start to USE the Italian language. He should also read and listen to other people reading in Italian.
Only my suggestion.

Rob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help for communicating with Chinese pupil

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »