Hermeneutica
Hermeneutica  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 19:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2007

Hi All,

I just came back from a holiday in Greece and have decided I need to learn for next time so as not to miss out on so much of the richness of the experience as this time. I am a rank beginner with just a few words, but as I know a number of other languages and was trained as a linguist I feel I have some hope of succeeding [one day]. I am looking primarily for a self-instruction course, ideally with CDs for pronunciation and exercises and *solutions* to the exercises!! An onl
... See more
Hi All,

I just came back from a holiday in Greece and have decided I need to learn for next time so as not to miss out on so much of the richness of the experience as this time. I am a rank beginner with just a few words, but as I know a number of other languages and was trained as a linguist I feel I have some hope of succeeding [one day]. I am looking primarily for a self-instruction course, ideally with CDs for pronunciation and exercises and *solutions* to the exercises!! An online course would also be ok. I live in a small hamlet basically in the middle of nowhere and spend most of my time in front of the computer for work etc., don't go out driving very much and only have a tape player in the car anyway ... therefore would prefer some form of CD to use directly on the computer.

By way of some sort of indication, in Greece a friend lent me the Hugo's Beginners Course book, which is not too bad [it could be worse] but I only found it on sale with tapes, not CDs, so ....

Look forward to any input you may be able to give me!!

Thank you so much in advance

Dee
Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 18:17
Kypros.org Oct 11, 2007

This course was really great a few years back, when I first started learning Greek: http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/ . You have to register but it used to be free. Don't know if anything has changed though.

When I reached a more advanced level, I moved on to the Ellinika Tora 2 + 2 book and casette which is mainly intended for classroom use but I nevertheless found it useful.

... See more
This course was really great a few years back, when I first started learning Greek: http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/ . You have to register but it used to be free. Don't know if anything has changed though.

When I reached a more advanced level, I moved on to the Ellinika Tora 2 + 2 book and casette which is mainly intended for classroom use but I nevertheless found it useful.

Trouble is that for really advanced levels it's difficult to continue learning just by yourself...

Best,
Eva
Collapse

Assimina Vavoula
Assimina Vavoula
Greece
Local time: 20:17
Member (2005)
French to Greek
+ ...
Congratulations... Oct 11, 2007

Hi guys...
It's good that you want to learn ouyr language. It's difficult you know but it is one of the richest languages in the world.
Bon courage
Best regards,
Mina Vavoula
A colleague from Greece

Eva Straus
Eva Straus  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 19:17
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Rosetta Stone Oct 11, 2007

Hi Dee!

You should try Rosetta Stone (software); it really helps with the basics.

It has everything: pronunciation, commonly used expressions, useful exercises and, of course, solutions. I like it a lot. And the price is quite reasonable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resources for learning Greek

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »