Interesting activities to teach nationalities?
Thread poster: Trans_Interp
Nov 22, 2007

Hello!
I have to teach a 30 minutes lesson on nationalities and/or countries/languages.
I really haven't got much experience, could anyone suggest an interesting way of teaching it?
Should I use maps, flags, famous people from those countries?? Should I do a role-play? Maybe a listening activity?
The students are beginners, they have never studied Portuguese before but some of them are Spanish, Italian and French and might find the topic easy due to language "similarities
... See more
Hello!
I have to teach a 30 minutes lesson on nationalities and/or countries/languages.
I really haven't got much experience, could anyone suggest an interesting way of teaching it?
Should I use maps, flags, famous people from those countries?? Should I do a role-play? Maybe a listening activity?
The students are beginners, they have never studied Portuguese before but some of them are Spanish, Italian and French and might find the topic easy due to language "similarities" (but there are also two Japenese and one Russian).
Any suggestions/comments will be welcomed.
Thank you very much.
Ines
Collapse

Igor Indruch
Igor Indruch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:06
English to Czech
It depends on your message... Nov 22, 2007

What do you want to teach them? This is the first question you need to ask yourself. Then image yourself in their place - what approach will most interesting/valuable to you?

With those two questions answered, it should be quite easy...

Melzie
Melzie
Local time: 21:06
French to English
+ ...
Guess game Nov 22, 2007

this type of activity may be used in loads of situations.

1st option - write nationality on post its, stick post its on learners' foreheads/backs, they ask closed questions to find out what nationality they are. When found, short presentation of nationality to group.

2nd option - divide lerners into 2 equal groups, write nationalities on one set - equal to number in group - and languages on other set, stick on forehead/back - by asking questions again they find t
... See more
this type of activity may be used in loads of situations.

1st option - write nationality on post its, stick post its on learners' foreheads/backs, they ask closed questions to find out what nationality they are. When found, short presentation of nationality to group.

2nd option - divide lerners into 2 equal groups, write nationalities on one set - equal to number in group - and languages on other set, stick on forehead/back - by asking questions again they find their partner, then present.

one question then change partners, resume the answers they already got for the next partner before they ask the next question:
"I know I come from a Latin country but I don't eat lots of pasta. Do I enjoy salt cod?"

before you start, do a quick question forming review: Am I French? Do I drink a lot of tea? etc. you decide if the person is allowed to say the nationality directly or if they have to ask more leading questions.

This is a build up information activity with a lot of communication and quite a relaxed atmosphere, it gets people talking.
Collapse

Mihaela Ghiuzeli
Mihaela Ghiuzeli  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
Romanian to English
+ ...
Mamory Game/ Survey Lists/ Map Activity Nov 24, 2007

Hi Ines,
I agree with Igor- first you have decide what your objective is: Simple Present( "he speaks) who/what questions( how speaks..in this class) and the list is endless.

I typically use a classroom map and have them stick in push pins/small flags in the countries they are originally from.
I have them work with survey lists and interview other students about nationalities/countries/languages and share the results with the class. Do one at a time because it might
... See more
Hi Ines,
I agree with Igor- first you have decide what your objective is: Simple Present( "he speaks) who/what questions( how speaks..in this class) and the list is endless.

I typically use a classroom map and have them stick in push pins/small flags in the countries they are originally from.
I have them work with survey lists and interview other students about nationalities/countries/languages and share the results with the class. Do one at a time because it might be confusing to beginners.
Work with textbook pictures: make copies, cut them out and show them one at a time; second activity, mix them up and have them pick out one and talk about it.
Memory game: show the pictures shortly and have them remember what they saw.

Make it "hands on " as much as you can, since they are beginners and the lesson lends itself to visuals.
Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interesting activities to teach nationalities?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »