Mobile menu

In search of Pronounciation resources - French and Portuguese
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:57
Partial member
+ ...
Dec 6, 2007

The institution where I studied translation used to have a subscription to a French language periodical. The periodical had news, articles, "conversations", etc., plenty of useful things specially targeted to people that were learning French. But the neatest thing about it, was that it came an audio CD that included all the articles read by native speakers. I've tried to find that particular publication or something remotely similar, but I haven't been lucky enough.

So I wonder if anybody here knows of a similar publication or resource, online, off-line, doesn't matter. I'm particularly interested in French and/or Portuguese (PT-PT or PT-BR). Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
Swedish to English
Audio texts Dec 7, 2007

I think this is an excellent way of learning a language, as opposed to dreary language lab exercises. There are not enough such texts around, unfortunately

Re Portuguese I found just now lots of texts of the 177th annual conference of the Mormonds, which were simultaneously translated into several languages. You can hear them (and see the text) on,5239,49-1-690,00.html

The subject matter may be not the most gripping, but you may find it of some use.
I have recently started to learn Portuguese and it is certainly essential to have audio texts, as the pronunciation is rather difficult, unlike Spanish or Italian, say.

United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
Swedish to English
Operational Policing Dec 7, 2007

This may be more useful. It describes itself as follows:

The Notice of Rights and Entitlements sets out a person's rights while in police detention, and is issued in accordance with PACE Code C, paragraph 3.2. In compliance with Note for Guidance 3B of that Code, the revised notice has been translated into Welsh and 42 other languages. You can download either the text of the notice (PDF) or listen to an audio version of the notice (WAV).

On slight irritation is that some words are occasionally changed, but that gives good comprehension practice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In search of Pronounciation resources - French and Portuguese

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs