https://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/94979-english_language_learning_software.html

English Language Learning Software
Thread poster: Tracey
Tracey
Tracey  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:54
French to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2008

Hi,

I'm English and am married to a Mexican who wants to improve his grammar/written English but I'm the worst English teacher ever! He's looking for a good software to do at home as he doesn't have time to go to English classes. I've been looking on Amazon.com and have seen "TeLL Me More English" which seems to cover all levels and aspects of English but it has a couple of 5 stars and then a 1 star saying it's a load of rubbish. Has anybody ever used this software or do you know of
... See more
Hi,

I'm English and am married to a Mexican who wants to improve his grammar/written English but I'm the worst English teacher ever! He's looking for a good software to do at home as he doesn't have time to go to English classes. I've been looking on Amazon.com and have seen "TeLL Me More English" which seems to cover all levels and aspects of English but it has a couple of 5 stars and then a 1 star saying it's a load of rubbish. Has anybody ever used this software or do you know of another good all-round English learning software for all levels? My husband is probably intermediate but it wouldn't do him any harm to go over the basic levels again.

Thanks for your help.
Tracey
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:54
Spanish
+ ...
Pimsleur Jan 23, 2008

I've heard wonderful reviews about the Pimsleur system. It's a bit expensive but you'd rather spend more on something that actually works rather than on many things that don't. Certain retailers have a 30-day satisfaction warranty, so your wife can try and if she doesn't think it's working, you can just send it back.

Andrey Reznikov
Andrey Reznikov
English to Russian
+ ...
It depends Jan 24, 2008

Tracey,

here is my two cents.

I have used this software, and I can say (as I would say about any other textbook of guide): it depends on the student. It will work for some people, and it will not work for others. The good thing about it that it is so inexpensive that you can safely try it. By the way, more expensive does not mean, at least in teaching grammar and language in general, better. It may just mean a fancy brand name.

Hope it helps.

... See more
Tracey,

here is my two cents.

I have used this software, and I can say (as I would say about any other textbook of guide): it depends on the student. It will work for some people, and it will not work for others. The good thing about it that it is so inexpensive that you can safely try it. By the way, more expensive does not mean, at least in teaching grammar and language in general, better. It may just mean a fancy brand name.

Hope it helps.

AR

Btw, why don't you try a good old textbook? Take, for example, "Intermediate Grammar in Use" by Raymond Murphy. It is a self-reference (so you will not have to learn grammar yourself!) with key to exercises, and has an audio CD. It is widely used by ESL students and teachers.
Collapse

gruftiam (X)
gruftiam (X)
English to German
eyespeak Feb 24, 2008

I came across software called "Eyespeak English" (http://www.eyespeakenglish.com). I have no need for it because I already speak (nearly) perfect English. The software looks impressive, and isn't too expensive. I only wish it was available for other languages, as I want to improve my German pronunciation. But reading your message again, I see you are more concerned with grammar and written English. Perha... See more
I came across software called "Eyespeak English" (http://www.eyespeakenglish.com). I have no need for it because I already speak (nearly) perfect English. The software looks impressive, and isn't too expensive. I only wish it was available for other languages, as I want to improve my German pronunciation. But reading your message again, I see you are more concerned with grammar and written English. Perhaps this software won't fit your needs after all.Collapse

rattlesnake
rattlesnake
Chinese to English
HI tracey Sep 14, 2008

I used the softwar. I think the it is a litte effective. btw, you can always speak to him with English. one of my friend has lived with his roomate who is from English.Finally he can speak fluent English.

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some ideas Sep 14, 2008

I've heard a lot of positive comments about the Rosetta Stone software. It's available in numerous languages......I believe English is one of them.

And....he has a Study Buddy in you!

Tracey
Tracey  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:54
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 15, 2008

Thanks for all of your advice.

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
my five cents:))) Dec 5, 2008

All good to you, Tracey!

firstly, speak with him, give him listen songs with their text against your eyes, sing with him it. let he watches films with subtitles, good thing else: voice of america. for eng. grammar use book: Azar, Betty Schrampfer, 1941-
Fundamentals of English grammar / Betty Schrampfer Azar.-3rd ed.
p. cm.
feature of the same books: human gets grammar with min. translation to other lang, b
... See more
All good to you, Tracey!

firstly, speak with him, give him listen songs with their text against your eyes, sing with him it. let he watches films with subtitles, good thing else: voice of america. for eng. grammar use book: Azar, Betty Schrampfer, 1941-
Fundamentals of English grammar / Betty Schrampfer Azar.-3rd ed.
p. cm.
feature of the same books: human gets grammar with min. translation to other lang, basically, only use learning lang.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sincerely, SarK0Y.

[Edited at 2008-12-08 19:20 GMT]
Collapse

Sara Karimi
Sara Karimi
Local time: 21:24
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
You can work out much better than any software Sep 30, 2009

To learn a language,one should put him/her self in the condition where he/she has to communicate in that language. In fact, it is the basis of very famous emerging programs in UK & US. I'm sure you can help more effectively and give practices more naturally than any software.

Good Luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English Language Learning Software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »