Thread poster: Denise Miranda
Denise Miranda
Denise Miranda
Local time: 08:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 18, 2008

Hi!
I am a translator in the Eng-Port pair and I've recently started an Italian course in Brazil, not for professional reasons.

I'd like to spend a month in Italy next year. We're going as a family (husband and 2 kids - 12 and 14 yo) and we'd like to attend classes in the mornings and have plenty to do in the afternoons.

I wonder if any of you has spent some time in Italy and could give me suggestions about where to go and if you have any particular school to rec
... See more
Hi!
I am a translator in the Eng-Port pair and I've recently started an Italian course in Brazil, not for professional reasons.

I'd like to spend a month in Italy next year. We're going as a family (husband and 2 kids - 12 and 14 yo) and we'd like to attend classes in the mornings and have plenty to do in the afternoons.

I wonder if any of you has spent some time in Italy and could give me suggestions about where to go and if you have any particular school to recommend, that would be great!

One more point is that we thought about going in December or January. Is it too rainy then?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Denise
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Check this Mar 19, 2008

Hi,
I live near Perugia, which has the University for Foreigners. I don't know if they have children's classes, but you can check:
http://www.unistrapg.it/english/

Perugia is a little cold in December and January, but not necessarily rainy.
HTH
Catherine

Michael Benis
Michael Benis  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:23
Italian to English
+ ...
What sort of course or work experience? Mar 19, 2008

Not sure what sort of courses you're after. The schools of interpreting and translation at Trieste and Bologna are both very good. You could probably also learn a lot by freelancing from the offices of one of the bigger translation companies such as Logos or Idoc.

hth

Mike

Denise Miranda
Denise Miranda
Local time: 08:23
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both for the suggestions Mar 19, 2008

The kind of course we want is just the language, not translation. Maybe Italian + cooking or wines. It's just for fun.

We are a family of language lovers, so we just want to improve our (still basic) Italian. And besides taking the course, we want to enjoy being there.

Is Bologna too rainy around Christmas time?

Thanks once again
Denise

Chiara Pallotti
Chiara Pallotti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Genoa Mar 29, 2008

Hi,

My suggestion is Genoa: it is on the coast so the weather is quite mild in winter too plus from Genoa you can easily reach by train Milan, Turin, Florence, Pisa etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa

Chiara

Sandra Bertolini
Sandra Bertolini  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Bologna Apr 7, 2008

If you're interested in Bologna (which is actually really in the right position to reach in a short time many different cities even by train - Venice, Florence, Rome, Milan, etc.) I have to say it is not too rainy at Christmas time. Weather changed a lot in the last years: it will be cold (this for sure) but not too rainy. There are different schools where to learn Italian (there are even courses for cooking, which take place 1-2-3-5 days and they are also meant for tourists).

Anoth
... See more
If you're interested in Bologna (which is actually really in the right position to reach in a short time many different cities even by train - Venice, Florence, Rome, Milan, etc.) I have to say it is not too rainy at Christmas time. Weather changed a lot in the last years: it will be cold (this for sure) but not too rainy. There are different schools where to learn Italian (there are even courses for cooking, which take place 1-2-3-5 days and they are also meant for tourists).

Another alternative to learn the language + cooking is Tuscany where there are many different opportunities offered to foreigners especially in the area around Siena. I don't have updated information but these are a bit more expensive than the ones in Bologna. Of course landscape is completely different. So you should first of all decide the best option for the whole family (countryside or city), and then you can take a look at these 2 options.

Bye

Sandra
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to study in Italy

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »