Thread poster: Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 19:01
German to Portuguese
+ ...
May 19, 2008

Hello Forum,

some weeks ago my PC had a hardware crash and had to be sent to repair. I continued my Transit projects by simply copying the "projects" folder in a new installation in another PC. It worked fine, Transit seemed to have access to all previous translated segments.

Now that my PC is back from repair, I installed Transit Satellite on it. But I cannot seem to make Transit Satellite recognize my old projects. I used the same procedure - copy of "C:\Transit3.0 Satellite PE\projects" - to my PC but it didn't work.

Is there some kind of trick I should perform in order to "deceive" Transit that is the old installation?

I appreciate any hints and help!

Kind regards,
Marcos

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't know if it helps... May 19, 2008

I think there ought to be a better solution, but I have received separate projectfiles (not PXF, but its components) from someone else who told me Transit would not accept them unless they were sent in .zip files.
I think it has to do with export/import settings. So I suppose the trick is to have Transit 'import' your old files again.
At the time, I was in a desperate hurry and simply performed the 'magic', without asking why it should be done this way.

So my suggestion would be to try to import the project again. as if they were new. Or zip all the files and unpack them in the Transit directory.

It's a bit of a poor suggestion, but who knows....

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I have the solution... May 19, 2008

Hello Margreet,

I think I have the solution. I did "a trick" in one of the config-files, Transit recognized my old projects. If :

- Transit does not crash in the next days, and
- Transit really fuzzies old translations to new ones

then I think it really worked.

The change was quite simple:

I copied all .PRJ files (except from default, german-source-tutorial and tutorial) from the folder

C:\Transit3.0 Satellite PE\config\global

of my old installation and put it in the respective folder of new installation. I opened Transit and ... voilá! All my projects where there.

To your suggestion: I don't think I quite understood you: this means, I should pack all files again? And then change the file extension from .zip to .pxf?

That might work... I heard that this pxf format has a zip fisionomy...

Thanks!

Regards,
Marcos

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wonderful May 19, 2008

I'll keep this in mind in case I ever need to migrate my files.

I received someone else's files for a project we were working on together. Simply copied files were not accepted by Transit, but they were accepted when they were sent as .zip. When I unpacked the zip to my project files, it worked. So I did not change the extension, I unpacked them.

But I do hope your solution will turn out to be the right one, it sounds much simpler...

Good luck!
Margreet

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Final & Thanks May 19, 2008

Margreet

Thanks again and good luck to you too!

Regards,
Marcos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrate Transit Satellite

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs