German to Portuguese
+ ...
May 24, 2008

Hello,

I am about to install:

1 x Transit Professional XV
and
3 x Transit Workstation XV

in a computer network. The 4 translators are to work together in the same project. My question: what type of deployment is the most indicated since the translators are going to have access to:

- same reference files (completed Transit Satellite projects)
- same dictionaries
- same translated file (translation in progress)

... See more
Hello,

I am about to install:

1 x Transit Professional XV
and
3 x Transit Workstation XV

in a computer network. The 4 translators are to work together in the same project. My question: what type of deployment is the most indicated since the translators are going to have access to:

- same reference files (completed Transit Satellite projects)
- same dictionaries
- same translated file (translation in progress)

The installation instructions explain how to:

a) Install Transit/TermStar locally and using shared network resources

b) Install Transit/TermStar centrally in the network

which seem quite straightforward to do, but don't explain the fundamental differences of these two types and how they reflect in the practical work of a translation team participating in the same project.

Which one of these two should I choose?

I appreciate any help or hint.

Kind regards,
Marcos
Collapse

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 19:15
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Performance May 25, 2008

I have an additional question: does one of these 2 installation types have some performance advantage over the other one?

Or, in other words: does a local installation of Transit XV offer significant performance advantage over a central installation?

Thanks!

Marcos

Ben Rose
Ben Rose
English
I have the same question Jun 10, 2008

I have the same question. I will be installing 1 Professional version and 5 Workstation versions. I'm unsure what the benefits/advantages are of a network installation over a local installation. I have an additional question:

Is Transit fairly stable running over a network? What is the risk of file corruption?

Thanks in advance.

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked well! Jun 11, 2008

Hello Ben,

I succeeded in installing Transit XV in my network. I am relieved, since such network installs can really turn into a problem creator instead of a problem solver.

I opted *not* to use the Network installation function during the installation. In fact, I tried it but my host PC didn't finish the installation correctly. I then uninstalled the ghost folders and files and tried again, this time with a regular installation - in each of the computers a regular inst
... See more
Hello Ben,

I succeeded in installing Transit XV in my network. I am relieved, since such network installs can really turn into a problem creator instead of a problem solver.

I opted *not* to use the Network installation function during the installation. In fact, I tried it but my host PC didn't finish the installation correctly. I then uninstalled the ghost folders and files and tried again, this time with a regular installation - in each of the computers a regular installation, as if each one of them would work alone.

Then I made the necessary configuration and it worked. These configurations are easy to make, but you have to know where to do them. I intend to explain all steps in detail tomorrow in this forum, unfortunately I don't have the time right now.

Anyway, the system works well, all translators have access to the reference material, to text translated a second ago and also to the dictionaries.

Kind regards,
Marcos Zattar
Collapse

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Setup Instructions Sep 29, 2009

Marcos de Miranda Zattar wrote:

Then I made the necessary configuration and it worked. These configurations are easy to make, but you have to know where to do them. I intend to explain all steps in detail tomorrow in this forum, unfortunately I don't have the time right now.

Anyway, the system works well, all translators have access to the reference material, to text translated a second ago and also to the dictionaries.

Kind regards,
Marcos Zattar

Hi Marcos,

Did you have a chance to write in details how to do the setup? I would appreciate it.

Thank you so much for your help.

MOhamed

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possible solution Sep 29, 2009

Hello Mohamed,

sometime ago one of the readers asked the same question, which I answered in private, but in German, whose contents I reproduce below. I'm afraid I don't have the time available now for a translation, maybe you could try Google Translate.

Suerte!!

Hallo XXXX,

leider kann ich mich nicht exakt erinnern, wie ich diese Konfiguration durchführte, da ich nicht mehr bei der Firma arbeite. Das Prinzip war aber so:
... See more
Hello Mohamed,

sometime ago one of the readers asked the same question, which I answered in private, but in German, whose contents I reproduce below. I'm afraid I don't have the time available now for a translation, maybe you could try Google Translate.

Suerte!!

Hallo XXXX,

leider kann ich mich nicht exakt erinnern, wie ich diese Konfiguration durchführte, da ich nicht mehr bei der Firma arbeite. Das Prinzip war aber so:

- Hauptinstallation in einem Rechner (Professional Lizenz)
- Zweitinstallation in den anderen Rechnern (Workstation Lizenz)
- Im Hauptrechner im Netzwerk Ordner freigeben, in dem Transit installiert wurde
- In den einzelnen Workstations diesen Ordner verbinden (Im Windows Explorer Netzwerklaufwerk verbinden). Also, er muss in den anderen PCs sichtbar sein
- Auf jeden Fall in den Workstations (vielleicht auch in dem Hauptrechner, weiss ich leider nicht mehr) die PATHS ändern in der Datei BIN\starte.ini in den jeweiligen Transit Installationen. Dies wird auf Seite 76 PDFs 1 installation.pdf und auf Seite 35 von refguide.pdf beschrieben.
Wenn z.B. im Hauptrechner der Ordner C:\Programme\Transit XV als Netzwerklaufwerk mit Buchstabe Q freigegeben wurden, sollte z.B. die folgende Zeile in den allen Dateien starte.ini der Zweitrechner hinzugefügt (oder ggfs. geändert) werden:

[PATHS]
PROJECTS=Q:
GLOBAL=Q:\Config

usw.

Die ganzen Eintraegen sind diese:

[PATHS]
CONFIG\SYS=
CONFIG\GLOBAL=
CONFIG\USERS=
CONFIG\CUSTOMERS=
PROJECTS=
HELP=
DB=
SPELL=
Die Ordner haben folgende Bedeutung:

- Im Windows Systemsteuerung: Verwaltung -> Datenquellen (ODBC) -> System DNS -- die 2 Eintraege "TermStar" und "TermStar Received" ändern durch jeweils:

-- Auf Eintrag 2 mal klicken -> Dann "Auswählen..." und den Pfad für die jeweiligen .mdb Dateien im Hauptrechner finden und festlegen

Das ist das beste, was mein Gehirn jetzt aufbringen konnte. Wenn es nicht genau so ist, wie beschrieben, dann fast genauso (bitte Syntax von mir angegebenen Pfaden überprüfen)

Damals (und bis heute) funktionierte das Transit-Netz wunderbar. Einziges Manko: die Rechner im Netz war ziemlich alt und deswegen waren bestimmte Prozesse langwierig.

Übrigens habe ich alles damals in den Bedienungsanleitugnen *nicht* gefunden, sondern wurde mir telefonisch vom Technischen Dienst von Star direkt mitgeteilt.

Viel Erfolg!
Collapse

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks Marcos! Oct 5, 2009

Marcos de Miranda Zattar wrote:

Hello Mohamed,

Thank you so much Marcos. I appreciate it. I will give it a try and see how things go.

Wish me luck

thanks,
Mohamed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deploying Transit XV in a PC Network

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »