How to deal with fragments as segments in STAR XV
Thread poster: Rob2031

Rob2031
Canada
Local time: 18:57
German to English
+ ...
Nov 13, 2008

I'm brand new to using STAR XV Professional, so my apologies in advance if this has been covered before elsewhere (though I have searched for it.)

I have encountered a situation in which 1 sentence in the source text has for some reason been split into two fragment segments. In trying to rectify this, I see that by right clicking in the target language window I have the option to either split a segment or join it to the next one. "Join" would be the obvious choice, I then receive a warning to ensure that I do the same thing in the source window. However, there is no option to split or join segments in the source language window.

eg.:
segment 65:
"Die XYZ [company name] verlaengert den bis Ende 2009 laufenden Vertrag als Partner des"
segment 66:
"ABC nicht mehr."

Any help on sorting this out properly greatly appeciated.

R.

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 03:57
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Enable Nov 14, 2008

When the source window is active, uncheck "Read Only" in the "View" menu. Do not forget to restore this protection once you are done.

Remarks:

(1) In my experience, after you join or split segments, all the indexing goes berserk (fuzzy matches do not correspond to each other properly); the best way is to do all the segment joining in the project and then save all and restart Transit.

(2) Sometimes strange things may happen - I recommend you should back up the whole folder of the respective project before you play with these things. Or at least make a reference extract of the work done.

Antonin

Rob2031
Canada
Local time: 18:57
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx for the info Antonín Nov 14, 2008

Many thanks for the reply -- I was really at a loss. You've helped immensely.

Rob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with fragments as segments in STAR XV

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs