Noemi Carrera
Noemi Carrera  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:09
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Apr 26, 2004

Hello everybody,

I have installed Star Transit PE and have not been able to "receive" a project a client has sent me.

I am not sure whether Star Transit PE and XP are compatible...

I have checked the system requirements and apparently XP is not supported. Nevertheless my client insists on its compatibility.

I do not know what is going wrong but I cannot have access to the pxf file the client has sent me. I just get a message saying "Error recei
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have installed Star Transit PE and have not been able to "receive" a project a client has sent me.

I have checked the system requirements and apparently XP is not supported. Nevertheless my client insists on its compatibility.

I do not know what is going wrong but I cannot have access to the pxf file the client has sent me. I just get a message saying "Error receiving project"

Thank you very much in advance for your opinion.

Best regards,

Noemí
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
XP and PE are compatible Apr 26, 2004

I worked with Satellite for 6 months or so (before I bought the Smart edition) and had no problems with XP. It is possible that the pxf is corrupted. You are welcome to send it to me via e-mail (from my Proz page) and I'll check it for you.

cheers,
Jill

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Put the whole folder in StarTransit "Projects" folder. Apr 26, 2004

Hello,

I do not have too much experience with the programme, but I have found that if I do not put the things in that folder, everything gets complicated...

Good luck,
Mar

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which build of TRSPE do you have? Apr 26, 2004

Noemí Carrera wrote:

Hello everybody,

I do not know what is going wrong but I cannot have access to the pxf file the client has sent me. I just get a message saying "Error receiving project"

Thank you very much in advance for your opinion.

Best regards,

Noemí

The latest build is (AFAIK) 267.
It works without any problem with Windows XP.
There are no incompatibilities between OS and TRSPE.
First check, if you have the latest build. If no, download and install the latest version.
If yes, the project you customer send you is dameged and you cannot do much about it.
Let the customer resend you the project.
This should do the trick.

Regards
Jerzy

Kit Cree
Kit Cree  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Need a dongle? Apr 26, 2004

My experience with Star Transit is limited to 2.7 and XV but i do know that I need a dongle to let it run with XP. Got my dongle straight from Star when they sent me the software. Don't know if that really helps.

[Edited at 2004-04-26 17:33]

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
No incompatibility, even with older versions od PE Apr 27, 2004

I have just finished a project in TRansit on XP and I have an older version of TRansit, downloaded maybe 2 years ago. AS the others say, maybe there's something wrong with the PXF file. The location of the file should make no difference. I always save the file in my working folder and never had any problems.

Noemi Carrera
Noemi Carrera  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much...And now a Termstar error. Apr 27, 2004

Hello everybody,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I have finally managed to "receive" the project. It had something to do with file extensions in XP.

I found this message written by Jill in the Transit Yahoo group. It could be useful to someone else:

"This was a file extension problem in Windows and had nothing to do
with Transit!

On opening the translation file I discovered that all my settings had
disappeared
... See more
Hello everybody,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I have finally managed to "receive" the project. It had something to do with file extensions in XP.

I found this message written by Jill in the Transit Yahoo group. It could be useful to someone else:

"This was a file extension problem in Windows and had nothing to do
with Transit!

On opening the translation file I discovered that all my settings had
disappeared. In Explorer/Transit/projects/config/user I found that
the default.prf with all my settings was registered as
a "msrating.dll,-3001" file i.e. windows did not recognise the file
as belonging to Transit. I went to Explorer/options/folder
options/file extensions/NEW and reassigned the PRF extension to
Transit. Hey presto, everything is back to normal, my profile is
there and the dictionaries open (wipe cold sweat off forehead!). I
emphasized "NEW" because highlighting the PRF in the list, clicking
on "change" and reassigning did not work"

Now I cannot open the Termstar database. I receive this error:

Termstar database error: Invalid database structure. /nRun DB ADMIN to check it.

What am I supposed to do?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best wishes,

Noemí
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Termbase May 5, 2004

Hi Noemi,

sorry I didn't see this posting before. I've not seen your termbase error message, and have absolutely no idea how to solve it. It is possible that your project manager has made a mistake. Try posting the problem in the transit forum. There are a lot of very experienced users who may know what the problem is.

Good luck
Jill

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Had the same problem some days ago Jul 6, 2005

..about not being able to receive a pxf file correctly and getting the "Error receiving project" error message. This seem only to be a problem in the Satellite PE version.

But the client's Transit expert guided me to a solution. I don't what went wrong, but now I can make it work:

He was of the opinion that it was a problem with the location of the Transit working folder, which maybe had been moved after installation. In my case, the solution was to log on as Administra
... See more
..about not being able to receive a pxf file correctly and getting the "Error receiving project" error message. This seem only to be a problem in the Satellite PE version.

But the client's Transit expert guided me to a solution. I don't what went wrong, but now I can make it work:

He was of the opinion that it was a problem with the location of the Transit working folder, which maybe had been moved after installation. In my case, the solution was to log on as Administrator (Windows 2000). Then I could open (receive) the pxf file without any problems.

He also told that PXF is really just a compression format, and that pxf files can be opened using e.g. Winzip.
So, thank you, Karsten

Regards
Jørgen
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Star Transit PE and XP

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »