Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Transit memory into .tmx Trados and vice versa
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 09:56
English to German
+ ...
Feb 20, 2005

Hi! Does any one know a technique to export transit memory to trados and back or Trados .tmx into Transit. Thank you for all the help. Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
PDF file explaining the conversion procedures Feb 20, 2005

Hi Brandis,

see: http://savonlinnakampus.joensuu.fi/jaatinen/pdf/TMX_conversion.pdf

It is all nicely explained.

Regards,
Jill

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
One should mention, that this is only possible with full version of Transit Feb 20, 2005

When you have only Transit Satellite PE, you cannot do any export.
This is the biggest problem of Transit IMO - when you receive a project to work with Satellite PE, you can do nothing with it. Only open and translate, as the PM has set it up. You cannot change segmentation, and for example Transit makes full stop after every semicolon (;).

Regards
Jerzy

pep
English to Spanish
Export with Transit Satellite PE Feb 20, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This is the biggest problem of Transit IMO - when you receive a project to work with Satellite PE, you can do nothing with it. Only open and translate, as the PM has set it up. You cannot change segmentation, and for example Transit makes full stop after every semicolon (;).

Regards
Jerzy

If you have Transit Stellite PE, you can use ApSIC Xbench to load the Transtit project into an Xbench project and after that export the loaded project into TMX with the Tools->Export Items option.

I hope this helps,

Pep.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Can you then work on Transit project with other software and import it back? Feb 20, 2005

This is what I'm looking for for years.
An easy to use solution to open Transit text in Trados, translate it and move back, so that my customer will not notice I was using Trados. Satellite PE is a horrible software for me...

Thanks
Jerzy

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ingenious Feb 20, 2005

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Hi Brandis,

Regards,
Jill
Thank you Jill, that was great help. Now it´s all so easy. Once again thank you for the timely help. I have downloaded and took the first test already, and it was a success.
Regards, Brandis

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Play another record Jerzy Feb 21, 2005

Dear Jerzy,

would you do us all a favour and stop having a dig at Transit every time a question is asked, it really is getting boring. Why you have to compare the free, slimmed down Satellite version with the full Trados version is beyond me. And who says that Brandis is only working with the Satellite version anyway?

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regards
Jerzy

The full Transit version has just as many capabilities as Trados, some worse, some better. I particularly like the possibility of marking each segment as not translated/translated/spell-checked etc. so that I can find wonky segments immediately.

And of course, the segmentation rules can be tweaked as well. Perhaps getting in contact with the PM to ask if these rules can be changed for the project would be the answer.

There are plenty of us who prefer to use Transit to Trados. I am one of them.

Regards,
Jill

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank you for getting me down to the ground, Jill Feb 21, 2005

Unfortunately, contacting the PMs doesn´t help.
Why do I compare Satellite with Trados? Simply because as a translator you are told, that it is great, you get a tool provided for free. OK, this is free. But no one - really no one - cares about its limitations.
So you are right, not Transit, but its users are my problem

Regards
Jerzy

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Who cares about limitations if... Feb 21, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

OK, this is free. But no one - really no one - cares about its limitations.
Regards
Jerzy

...if I can work on it and get my money?
Let us suppose that you are a novel translator, without money and you do not have any CAT tool. If a client offers you to work in a project made in Transit, or Passolo, could you work on it? YES. If a client has a job for you in a Trados project. Could you work on it? NO.

This is the more important thing, about limitations can we speak later, when my rent has been paid

Rgds

Nika Lea Erwin
United States
Local time: 00:56
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Do you have the file? Jun 29, 2005

Do you have this file? It no longer seems to be available.
Thanks
Nika

Brandis wrote:

Hi! Does any one know a technique to export transit memory to trados and back or Trados .tmx into Transit. Thank you for all the help. Brandis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
which file Jun 29, 2005

nika_erwin wrote:

Do you have this file? It no longer seems to be available.
Thanks
Nika

Brandis wrote:

Hi! the file I needed to translate or the the .pdf Jill was suggesting through the link, that explains the hows?? Brandis

Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
PDF-file Jul 18, 2008

The pdf-file I think. I would like to know how to convert tmx into tm. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Quyet Ngo
Vietnam
Local time: 15:56
English to Vietnamese
Re-up the file Jul 18, 2008

Brandis wrote:

Hi Brandis,

Regards,
Jill
Thank you Jill, that was great help. Now it´s all so easy. Once again thank you for the timely help. I have downloaded and took the first test already, and it was a success.
Regards, Brandis

Would you please upload this file onto another host? I can't download it from the above link. Thanks a lot.

Quyet

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Project + reference material (or reference extract) -> TMX Nov 11, 2008

Hello,

thanks for the tips!

May I go deeper in this topic and pose a problem:

how can I produce a .tmx file containing not only the project segments itself, but also the contents of the reference material configured to the project? Is this possible?

Thanks!
Marcos

Ronny Liao
Taiwan
Local time: 16:56
English to Chinese
Link missing Mar 10, 2009

Hi Brandis,

Regards,
Jill

Hi Jill: Could you help to upload this file for me? We are now in the phase of exchanging between TRADOS and Transit. Thanks. -Ronny

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit memory into .tmx Trados and vice versa

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs