Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:43
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Sep 22, 2005

Î have working for quite some time (now and then) with the transit PE. Now I have a PXF file, consisting of two halves, which are nearly identical - I will definitely get paid just for the first half.

Now, I do have a time-limited copy (workiing) of Transit TV and I wonder, how to cerate a TM from the first half.

Obivously I have not yet bothered to read the manuals (I did download them), so RTFM answer has already occured to me. Except I have to deliver by tomorrow.

So a concise answer (possibly including "read Chap XY backgrounder, the first Z pages") would be VERY welcome.

In the mean time I am doing "Find-fuzzy/switch-window/accept-translation" tap dance. I know this is obscene but I assume the esteemed readership consists of consenting adults ;\

TiA again

smo

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
No TM Sep 22, 2005

Transit does not have TMs similar to Trados.

It uses the original/translated segment pairs in the project files as the "TM"

If you insist, you can mark your trasnlated segments "translated", export to TMX, import from TMX and attach the import from TMX as reference material. But you will have to re-import the project if you want the file to be pretranslated using the reference material (losing the work you have already done, but this should not bother you since it should be pretranslated).

I was in such situation some time ago, and I preferred to just "type it out" with Alt+Enter to find fuzzy (unless it is activated from the previous segment), Alt+Enter to accpet the translation, Alt+Insert to go on (which should actovate the find fuzzy, as a mater of fact).

If you have a lot of semgents. it may be worth your while to write a macro for that combination of keystrokes (if your demo is Professional - Smart is not enough for macros)

It is probably not too easy to understand, sorry. You have to do a bit of ecxperimenting (or read the manuals, but I have never done it with Transit and have been working with it merrily, only raeding context help from time to time).

Good luck

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now you tell me;) Sep 22, 2005

antonin_1955 wrote:

Transit does not have TMs similar to Trados.

Antonin

Oh, H*ll...

What you wrote, sounds reasonable. I am now right at the moment, where I have the first half done. As it is 1800 words, I'll probably, oh well, just keep "Alt+something" in Transit.

I appreciate.

Elias Ek
Local time: 00:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Use the language pair of the first part as a reference Aug 9, 2006

It's easier than that:

Once the first language pair has been translated, you can use it as a reference for your second one. Just change the settings accordingly and reimport the second half again.

Or alternatively, change your settings as to having Transit insert all 100% matches and repetitions automatically.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit TV - how to create TM

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs