Thread poster: Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 1, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I have worked with Transit 2.7 for 2 years or so, back in 2000. After that I moved on to Deja-Vu (now I'm using Deja-Vu X).

I have around 800 reference files in Transit 2.7 which I would love to be able to include in my memory translation (DVX).

I got a free demo of Transit XV valid for another month. I looked in the manuals on how to do what I want, but I guess I need more "straight to the point" help.

Could anyone help me here with very basic steps or even pointing out sections in the manuals that could *really* help me out?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 10:57
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
"My way" Nov 1, 2005

(1) Open a project, go Project-TMX Export, choose a destination file, export to TMX - this step is rather straightforward.

(2) I recommend to clean the TMX export from Transit using a freeware TMXvalidator, downloadable from
to be sure it really complies with all TMX standards and there are no charset (unicode...) issues.

Now you should have a reasonable export of a single project, not containing any "wild" characters.

(3) You can download a one-month trial version of a TMX Editor from

(4) Using this editor, you can edit, merge, spellcheck, etc. the TMX translation memories you get by exporting from different Transit projects, before importing them into your software. I have never used DejaVu, so I have no idea whether it is better to merge them all into one, or keep them separate.

Note: In principle, you can merge the reference materials within Transit, but I do not bother with that since I quite like the Heartsome TMX editor. Up to you, really.

[Edited at 2005-11-01 13:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit: How to transform reference material (2.7) into TMX

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs